Close

Prusia i3v makerfarm - pronterface running

One quick question, I had my printer connected to Pronterface and was running my axes manually. But I ran it too far from X endstop and it kept running some time slipping belts.

Aren't there a limit in the firmware ? I can clearly remember writing 25cm max length. Or does pronterface override?

There are software limits in the firmware. But you have to enable them.

You are looking for this in your Configuration.h file:

#define min_software_endstops false // If true, axis won't move to coordinates less than HOME_POS.
    #define max_software_endstops false // If true, axis won't move to coordinates greater than the defined lengths below.

Thanks!

I'll be looking into it

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Did you home the extruder before sending the movement commands? If not, the printer will *think* 0,0,0 is where ever the extruder was at power up. That's one way that you can still attempt to send the extruder too far even if max_software_endstops is enabled, which BTW is the MakerFarm default setting.

Hm:

#define min_software_endstops false // If true, axis won't move to coordinates less than HOME_POS.
    #define max_software_endstops true // If true, axis won't move to coordinates greater than the defined lengths below.

Max was enabled. min_software_endstops isn't really needed because of the endstop switches?

Quote Originally Posted by Stigern View Post
    Hm:

#define max_software_endstops true // If true, axis won't move to coordinates greater than the defined lengths below.

Max was enabled. min_software_endstops isn't really needed because of the endstop switches?
    More accurately, min_software_endstops isn't enabled since the endstop switches are on the min side. Marlin can be configured so that the endstop switches are on the max end. That'd be when you want the min_software_endstops set to true.

Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    More accurately, min_software_endstops isn't enabled since the endstop switches are on the min side. Marlin can be configured so that the endstop switches are on the max end. That'd be when you want the min_software_endstops set to true.
    Ah, so then if I had it at home position when I moved it manually, it would stop when it hit 250mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Stigern View Post
    Ah, so then if I had it at home position when I moved it manually, it would stop when it hit 250mm?
    I think this would take some firmware study or more knowledge than I have to answer this. There are more settings in configuration_adv.h that should be coming into play. For example...

#define ENDSTOPS_ONLY_FOR_HOMING // If defined the endstops will only be used for homing

makes it sound like the carriage would not stop when it hit the max endstop switch at 250mm for a manual move. What I don't know or understand is if you have max endstops, do you also have to have the home position defined at the max (250 in your case)? Otherwise I'm not sure how the homing process would work.

Every time I've tried to manually command the carriage farther than it mechanically can, it's always been when I forgot to properly issue a homing command beforehand. Using max endstops wouldn't eliminate this problem.