Close

Portugal's first Projet 4500 from 3D Systems Prints Amazing Trophies

On the Portuguese Island of Madeira, creative studio NUUMstudio has obtained the first Projet 4500 from 3D Systems. Wojciech Hydzik and Claudio Barros Alves, the architects who founded NUUMstudio, were contracted to create custom-made trophies for an award ceremony. The ceremony -- 100 Maiores e Melhores Empressas -- celebrates the success of 100 companies from Madeira, and NUUMshop was contacted by 'Diario de Noticias,' the local newspaper. The trophies were created to mark the 25th anniversary event and turned out impressively, showcasing the new Projet 4500 and its abilities to the Portuguese people. See more details: http://3dprint.com/25588/3d-printed-trophies-3dsystems/

Below is a close-up look at the trophies:

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    The color looks wonderful!

I will be using this printer to create a full-color puzzle - If anyone knows the minimum clearance between parts when printing multiple parts please let me know.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    usually around 0.1mm isn't it ?
    http://www.advantage3d.com/Detail_ProJet4500_Specs.php
    Says accuracy to 0.1mm - so maybe use 0.15 for minimum gap to be on the safe side.

Not overly impressed with the trophy design. Can't see anything there that you couldn't do with fdm machine and a full colour film transfer or sticker.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    Thanks, I was thinking the same and used 0.2 to be extra safe. For the Visijet Crystal material the clearance requirement is 0.05mm but in my experience being on the safe side with jetting processes is good practice. I hear the support material gets melted away so that gives more confidence than polyjet printers where a lot of manual work comes into the support removing. I like the details of the colors, it opens up a lot of new possibilities for product designers!

We found that a 0.2mm clearance works perfectly for extended straight wall sections. Walls stick together but with a razor blade can be separated. We now are stepping to full color prints but the machine isn't accepting texture files. Is there a specific file format we have to use? OBJ+PNG and OBJ+PLY aren't working. I look forward to feedback from people experienced with this machine.Thanks