Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Engineer

Control printer via computer?

Is there a program that I can be able to stop the print thats being made with a computer hooked in? I just got a camera set up so I can view it from anywhere, but I'm not sure how I could stop it if something was not going right. I have only printed via SD so far, I just tried to install Makerware 2.4 on that computer but it keeps giving me a error, it's a older one I just took out for this.

Engineer
    Cura can stop, Repetier Host can stop it. Pretty sure any open source supported software can do the job. Not sure why you would want to use makerware on flashforge printers though.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Cause it is free and pretty good.

Simplify3D has a big stop button on the printer control panel.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    Cause it is free and pretty good.

Simplify3D has a big stop button on the printer control panel.
    Pretty much. It does not have a lot of features that I would like, but it should do for now.

I will be getting S3D but it will be about 2 weeks probably. So, til then.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    Is there a program that I can be able to stop the print thats being made with a computer hooked in? I just got a camera set up so I can view it from anywhere, but I'm not sure how I could stop it if something was not going right. I have only printed via SD so far, I just tried to install Makerware 2.4 on that computer but it keeps giving me a error, it's a older one I just took out for this.
    If you get it hooked up with the usb cable you can use something called remote desktop through google chrome.......Works great for me

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by richardphat View Post
    Cura can stop, Repetier Host can stop it. Pretty sure any open source supported software can do the job. Not sure why you would want to use makerware on flashforge printers though.
    because flashforge creators use the mightyboard and cannot use any of the open source software. Unless like geoff you've changed your board.

The rest of us are limited to makerware, replicator-g and simplify3d.

As far as stopping or pausing a print goes. The option exist on all software.

what os are you running on the computer ?

I've had no problem installing makerware on xp or windows 7.

Does the python part install correctly ? That's the only bit I can see being an issue.

Generally speaking if the first layer goes down clean, then the rest of the print will normally work.

Issues I have had:

Bad calibration, print detached halfway through and had lots of spaghetti.
    Model fell off rim of printer and wedged under the build plate - I no longer have models on the rim :-)
    Filament got caught behind reel and snapped
    Abs warped, caught print head, dislodged print. - Fixed by mostly using pla now and abs pretty much just on raft.

But 99% of prints do what I want them to.
    You can cut down on problems by a few simple precautions.

Check filament roll before starting a print.
    Make sure the build plate is properly calibrated
    No models around rim of printer (lol)
    And be there when the print actually starts - for the first layer anyway. If that goes down clean - you're usually okay. Well until it warps anyway :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-17-2014 at 06:18 AM.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    because flashforge creators use the mightyboard and cannot use any of the open source software. Unless like geoff you've changed your board.

The rest of us are limited to makerware, replicator-g and simplify3d.

As far as stopping or pausing a print goes. The option exist on all software.

what os are you running on the computer ?

I've had no problem installing makerware on xp or windows 7.

Does the python part install correctly ? That's the only bit I can see being an issue.

Generally speaking if the first layer goes down clean, then the rest of the print will normally work.

Issues I have had:

Bad calibration, print detached halfway through and had lots of spaghetti.
    Model fell off rim of printer and wedged under the build plate - I no longer have models on the rim :-)
    Filament got caught behind reel and snapped
    Abs warped, caught print head, dislodged print. - Fixed by mostly using pla now and abs pretty much just on raft.

But 99% of prints do what I want them to.
    You can cut down on problems by a few simple precautions.

Check filament roll before starting a print.
    Make sure the build plate is properly calibrated
    No models around rim of printer (lol)
    And be there when the print actually starts - for the first layer anyway. If that goes down clean - you're usually okay. Well until it warps anyway :-)
    The computer is running a fresh install of Windows 7. It actually became a huge pain yesterday, I could not get the Kinect to work as a webcam no matter what I did, tried for hours. The makerware was just giving me some stupid silly error message, I would have to see it again when I got home.

I pretty much gave up on getting the kinect to work as a camera on there, not sure why it wont. I will just find a different cam to set up. Mainly wanted to record the prints. But would also be nice to pull it up from work and just see how far along things are, etc. And yeah I printed out a part to hold the spool filament feeding in the middle of the rolls. (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:409297) works great. I did have 1 print that had a leg break off mid-print, I believe the raft just came loose. I glue'd it back together, looks ok.

Are you wanting to be able to control your computer/printer while you are not home?..........I have a camera on my printer as well so I can watch what is going on...... If I notice something is wrong I can log in through Remote Desktop and control my computer from my cell phone or tablet to pause or cancel the print......

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by mikenmel08 View Post
    Are you wanting to be able to control your computer/printer while you are not home?..........I have a camera on my printer as well so I can watch what is going on...... If I notice something is wrong I can log in through Remote Desktop and control my computer from my cell phone or tablet to pause or cancel the print......
    Pretty much exactly what I am trying to do. I am going to pick up a webcam after work today (gave up on getting the kinect to work right). What program do you use to pause or cancel the print?

I am using Google Chrome browser, if you go to the Chrome store you can download something called remote desktop.... It will let you log into your computer that is hooked to your printer from a remote location.........I am at work now but I can post links later on today when I get home.....all it does is basically lets you remotely control your computer that is already hooked up to the printer......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast