Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Levelling the plastic bed arms?

Is it possible to level the build plate arms at all?
    Reason being my right one appears to be way out, meaning when levelling the build plate I am right at the limit of the level screw threads on the left hand side (had the knob come off a couple of times as a result) to bring it nice and flat.
    I had a quick look but can't really see how it can be done - happy to take apart the printer to get at it, just don't want to mess it all up by playing if it won't gain me anything.
    Example - you can see how much I have to adjust the left hand side to bring the bed up to compensate for the right hand plastic arm being that much higher set at the back. You can also see the front wooden plate is raked up to the right. The plastic arm at the right on the guide rail is visibly higher.
    Its 3.5mm difference in height from left to right.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    wow that is pretty extreme.

Not sure how you fix that.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Maybe have to he man it the other way. lol

I think the aluminum arms might straighten it out though. Not sure what the site is to get them now though. Maybe P3-d.com?

Student
    yea, you need the "arm stiffeners". I got some on eBay, although he appears to not be selling them anymore. They work great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flashforge-C.../181521818873?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    It seems odd you cannot simply tighten the left side to match the right... and if you can't because this leaves the nozzle too far from the platform, then your machine thinks the bed is actually higher than it is.

If you tighten all your screws and have them at the same length - what happens??
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Technician
    Geoff - the bed IS level in that picture.
    Perhaps this helps - picture straightened out or at least as much as I can - software only let me move a degree of rotate at a time and it's between -1 and -2

Bed is parallel to the head. Its the bed carrier that isn't straight when the bed is.
    Its the right hand arm is physically higher up than the left - so if I tighten up the left the bed would be at an angle

Senior Engineer
    Move the head out of the way, let's see the top of the back of the arms.

From slightly lower so the back can be seen through the springs, under the table

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Have you measured from the bottom of the cabinet up to one side of the black arms, and then the same on the other side? because its really hard to tell from the photos as Mjo said, then to me the picture is showing a very warped L shape on the bed but its hard from the photo angle.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Senior Engineer
    Also measure from the side of the arm to the side of the cabinet with the table at the top and at the bottom, those shuold be the same distance. If not then your shafts are not vertical.

Technician
    Have actually managed to sort it out. It was some (what can only be described as) droop in the arm. I unwound the bed entirely and its gone back on much more level. Like it was twisted somewhat under the compression from the springs. Basically rather than pulling the bed down it was pulling the arm up to the bed if that makes sense?

Not much difference between the sides now when leveled out.
    Not sure how people cannot see the difference in distance from the picture LOL. The right hand side spring is around a third more compressed in that photo before I sorted it out.

Measuring both arms from bottom of case to the top of the plastic arm there is now a difference of less than 1.5 mm which I am happy with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast