Close

Add Innerbreed on Facebook Add Innerbreed on Shapeways

Animatronic Skeletal Armature

ABOUT THE PROJECT

A brief description about the project...
    A lot of research with raptors require to capture individuals to put on identifying leg bands, and may radio transmitters. Raptors can be very difficult to trap. One of the most efficient tools is to find an active nest. The adults raptors will usually be protective of their nestlings, and especially aggressive toward large birds, such as the hawk or owl. They use this behavior to facilitate capturing other hawks. Essentially, they will set up a net near the nest and place a lure in front of it. The hawks will swoop at the lure to try to chase it from the nest area and get captured in the net. It is a very effective trapping method, but there are several problems that a good animatronic lure would overcome.

The goal in building this project?...
    Some researcher have made stuffed lure with heads that can be rotated with radio control. They do not work well, but I believe my animatronic hawk, would be a substantial leap in terms of trapping lures. The cocking of the head, opening of the beak, and for the future development i will make it spread its wings, then it would make it, I suspect, incredibly efficient in trapping raptors. I am certain that, if it was confirmed to work well, numerous researchers would be interested in forgoing the headaches of live lures and stuffed decoys by getting an animatronic. My goal is to successfully field test this idea.

How this project aims to solve problems...
    There are several problems that a good animatronic lure would overcome. First, we have to have federal and state permits to use a live lure for this purpose. The lures are usually non-releasable rehabilitated birds with some injury (e.g., broken wing). Getting these permits is a very onerous task due to federal and state legal requirements. Second, because the lure is alive, we have to provide food and care for it, and protect it from environmental conditions such as cold, heat, direct sunlight, etc. Third, Animal Welfare Legislation in the United States (which is even more restrictive in the UK) has led to many institutions not allowing the use of a live lures for this purpose without substantial justification and oversight. This has led many researchers to use plastic scarecrow lures. However, these do not work well for trapping.

Working With Nature...
    Life-like movements are critical for getting an aggressive response from hawks. I know the current hawk has a long way to go but as far as im aware there is nothing like this currently out there? The use of scarecrows or stuffed owls also may induce greater disturbance to the nesting hawks due to low aggression response but repeated disturbance due to the researcher trying to capture them repeatedly. This is also problematic when trapping in remote locations; you want the trap to work the first time after hauling all the equipment in to the site.

Electrical housing

VIDEO:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17AE...HkoeCcVuw3VmfA

Also developing a newer rig:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEHT...HkoeCcVuw3VmfA

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Stunning, just stunning... no words.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

wow thank you.

Technician
    Add kennycoulter on Facebook Add kennycoulter on Google+
    WOW. At first, I thought it was just going to be for a creepy art installation, and I liked it.......Then I see the realism, and I am blown away. This is the reason why real art is better than a square on a canvas displayed so that people can argue about whether it is art.....
    Re-creation of something so spectacular, as nature, and hitting it so square on the head, is a true show of craftsmanship and artistic ability.

Quote Originally Posted by kennycoulter View Post
    WOW. At first, I thought it was just going to be for a creepy art installation, and I liked it.......Then I see the realism, and I am blown away. This is the reason why real art is better than a square on a canvas displayed so that people can argue about whether it is art.....
    Re-creation of something so spectacular, as nature, and hitting it so square on the head, is a true show of craftsmanship and artistic ability.
    Thank you so much for your comment there. I am over the moon that you are impressed with my work. before i taught myself how to use CAD software and before 3d printing was available, i used to hand sculpt, mould and cast the parts by hand. with advancements in technology i can really put a lot more effort into a design and i really hope it shows.
    Again thank you for your time and comment.

Jonny

The Boca Bearing Company is giving away over $5,000 in cash and prizes as part of their 2014 Boca Bearing Innovation Contest. Winners will be chosen based on a video submission of their innovative mechanical project that utilizes ball bearings, roller bearings, linear bearings or any form of full ceramic or ceramic hybrid bearings anywhere in their application.

One finalist will be chosen by the voting public in September, October and November..
    I could win the November votes... Please VOTE via the link.
    http://www.bocabearings.com/innovati...?ProjectID=101

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    May I ask what sort of wire you use for the tension systems? I have been using guitar strings but they are not really flexible enough for my applications and fishing wire is just not durable enough.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    May I ask what sort of wire you use for the tension systems? I have been using guitar strings but they are not really flexible enough for my applications and fishing wire is just not durable enough.
    A custom control system was designed for this rig.
    I created a pull-pull cable system using 1mm steel wire rope and some custom servo housings designed by me.

More about the Rig

Servo With Pull-Pull designs

This is the popular InnerbreedFX Servo Pullpull Control Tower.
    Designed to fit upto eight Standard Size Hitec Servos, and to be use in conjunction with the InnerbreedFX PullPull cases and horns.

The tower allows eight servos to be fitted with the option of a power switch plate as an Opt in option for those who like to keep things tidy. Also the unit has a top surface mount hole for another switch mounting position.
    Featured is a 30mm diameter hole upon the top for the cables to be extracted from. The hole mounting pattern has a 38mm hole spacing to mount any of InnerbreedFX models to the tower.

Made from a stong G10 FR-4 Glass epoxy composite laminate material, this ridged construction is perfect for such applications.

Unit measures 180x180mm

Printed wing with Pull-Pull Horn

The Application

The Pull-Pull systems can be used with many applications. I also sell them....
    http://www.innerbreed.co.uk/#!buy-my-parts/cf47

Awesome!! Wow a lot of planning went on with creating this.