Close

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Yes, that's the area of the configuration.h the file. I'm not an expert on the hierarchy of possible controls, but my understanding is that the values starting with DEFAULT_ are what the printer will use if it has no other guidance from pronterface or the gcode file being processed. You could do a web search on each of the labels and find numerous resources where people have worked through issues on how to set them.

The bottom line is if you try to rotate the motors too fast, they won't be able to and you'll just hear them make some noise as they jerk a bit for each step without actually moving. I'm assuming that's what is happening with your motors. If you're commanding moves from pronterface, make sure the manual feedrates in Pronterface options aren't set too high or deliberately set them lower for initial testing.

On #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {78.7402,78.7402,200.0*8/3,760*1.1} // default steps per unit for Ultimaker, first of all ignore the text that says those are default values for the Ultimaker. They may be, but everyone seems to edit the values and leave the comment incorrectly there. The source of your Prusa kit actually has a Marlin build on their downloads page. I'm not saying you should use it because it is pretty dated (2012), but it is at least available as a reference. The configuration.h file in that build uses these values - #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {53.2,53.2,3200/1.25,625} // default steps per unit for NextDay. There are web resources out there that explain how these numbers are calculated. Once you have the printer working, you'll want to run some calibration prints to validate the settings and do some fine tuning, especially on the last value for the extruder steps per mm.

The other DEFAULT_ values are the same in the nextday Marlin build. Do they work? I don't know. But I run considerably lower/slower values in my prusa from MakerFarm...
    #define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {150, 150, 2, 22} // (mm/sec)
    #define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {1000,1000,5,1000} // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves.
    #define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 500 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves
    #define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 500 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for retracts

Again, you can always at least start with lower values until things seem to work and then increase them later.

Anyone with a Prusa I2 welcome to take over at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by jakers181008 View Post
    Changed the board to what you have suggested, and the beeping has stopped i repeat THE BEEPING HAS STOPPED. thank alot

Also there still is no error on the LCD still says "Mendel is ready"

but when connected to pronterface, still getting the :

echo:SD init fail
    Let's ignore the SD init fail for now. Does the smartpanel otherwise seem to function OK? You should see the value next to F/R change as you rotate the knob. Pressing the knob should send you down into the menu tree. If the printer thermistors are hooked up properly, your room temperature should be showing up as the left side of the two pairs of numbers at the top of the screen.

EDIT: Actually, running a quick test with Pronterface here I see the SD init fail will occur if the SD card isn't plugged in, so what you're seeing is likely normal.

Sorry about hitting you with multiple posts, but set aside the motor issues for now. Once we think the panel is working OK we can get the heater controls sorted out.

Student
    Add jakers181008 on Thingiverse
    Hiya,

Thanks for the replies, i have tried all of the above steps and will upload the firmware now....

and for the lcd screen, when i move the knob i can go from 10% up to .... 999% for FR (does this stand for feed rate or something rate?)

Hiya,

Thanks for the replies, i have tried all of the above steps and will upload the firmware now....

and for the lcd screen, when i move the knob i can go from 10% up to .... 999% for FR (does this stand for feed rate or something rate?)
    Yep. F/R is Feed Rate. Now we know the rotary encoder is working and don't need to tweak how the Arduino pins for it are configured.

Student
    Also both temps are about room tempIMG_3880.jpg but i cant seem to get to the menu you talk of?

EDIT:

here is a short vid of what now happens when i try moving the motors, i have change the default value to your above comments
    http://expirebox.com/download/04f096...29be0c037.html
    Last edited by jakers181008; 11-14-2014 at 04:18 PM. Reason: added link

Also both temps are about room temp but i cant seem to get to the menu you talk of?
    Do you mean that the panel control doesn't do anything when you push it into the panel? Do you feel it move down a bit and click? That should bring up a different screen. The way the rotary encoder type of control works is you rotate it to scroll through a menu and then press it in to select something.

Student
    Hi, yeah i click it down and i am able to feel a "click" before when i was on the other lcd setting in the firm ware i was able to see it, now i'm not?

Ok. We'll have to go back to the lcd setting at some point. For now, let's check out the heaters. You said the bed was working. On the display, the right pair of numbers on the top row are for the bed. The left number is the current temp. The right number is the set temp. When you set a bed temp in pronterface, the right number should change to the set point, and the left number should creep up as the bed heats up. The left pair of numbers is similar but for the extruder. What do they do when you set an extruder temp from pronterface?

Student
    At the moment i am getting:

24/185 and then 40/60

the bed is working but the extruder still isn't heating up?

i will have to find my infra red temp gun to see if it actually measuring the correct temp, but i dont need to do that for now, so wont bother looking for it

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast