Close

FLUX All-in-one 3D Printer, 3D Scanner, Laser Engraver & More

Earlier today a Taiwan-based company called FLUX Technologies launched what seems to be quite the successful Kickstarter campaign. In under a day they have raised in excess of $120,000. The machine, simply called FLUX is constructed as simple as it's name. Featuring an integrated 3D scanner as well as printer, and having the ability to easily swap out modules and become a laser engraver/cutter, the price is rather affordable, starting at just $499. The company aims to produce additional printer modules for paste extrusion and other capabilities in the future. Below are some of the FLUX's specs:

• Printer Size: 30.5 x 26.5 x 55cm
    • Build Envelope: 17cm diameter x 18cm height
    • Max Print Speed: 100mm/sec
    • Layer Height: 0.01 - 0.3mm
    • Scanner Wavelength: 650nm
    • Scanner Point Accuracy: 2 - 3mm
    • Scan Envelope: 14cm diameter x 8.5cm height

More details on this machine can be found here: http://3dprint.com/24317/flux-3d-printer-scanner-laser/

Let us know if you have backed this project as well as your thoughts on this new machine. Below is a picture of the FLUX 3D Printer/Scanner/Engraver:

wish i could back this! it's design is beautiful!

however, the cnc module worries me, as i don't think the magnetic ball joint can hold up to the lateral forces of milling.

Engineer
    Magnetic will just not do it.
    They haven't learnt the lesson from other delta with previous nightmare using magnetic clip.

That being said, I am worried it's a Makibox 2. Pricing is too good to be true, and I am curious how they can set the price before asking for the quotation?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    can't see any mention of cnc in the blurb./ Laser, 3d print head and extruders for paste. No mention of a milling head.

It's interesting for sure.
    The scan area is just not big enough - which is a shame.
    And you do have to supply your own tablet or smartphone. That said a basic tablet with bluetooth can be bought for under £30, so that's not a bigggie. And I'm the only person I know who doesn't carry a smart phone around.

My biggest concern would be that they all look about 12 :-)
    But then again bill - the bastard - gates started microsoft while he was still at college.

The other issue is that it's in taiwan. So by the time you add postage and tax the basic model on kickstarter is pushing $700.

But it is an interesting machine - first multi head delta I've seen.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    can't see any mention of cnc in the blurb./ Laser, 3d print head and extruders for paste. No mention of a milling head.

This G+ post shows a CNC head, at least that is what it looks like to me. https://plus.google.com/115468870408...ts/Eq8kk5vewSP

EDIT: Directly from the KS page.

[MORE MODULES] I saw the CNC milling module, dual extruder, ceramic extruder, and food print module in the project and video, when will they be available

CNC milling, dual extruder, pastry extruder are still in development planning, so there is no set availability date yet. However, we will update the Kickstarter page and our official fan page whenever we make progress on and test the modules! What we can guarantee is that by the time FLUX reaches your hands, you will certainly have more modules available for purchase!
    Last edited by Zerodameaon; 11-12-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Staff Engineer
    Okay, why have the scanner under the glass bed when you could just have a seperate box for it and not bother with making it fold up all cute-like?

Granted, I do have a possibly unique idea for a "scan head" that would go on a delta printer like this...

Student
    I thought that was odd how it was hidden below as well, but I guess if you get the heated bed upgrade later you would have to take it off anyways to have access to a spinning plate. That scanner on the other hand only has a max height of 3.3".

This looks disconcertingly similar to the EasyArts Ares on Indiegogo. What's the story here? Is one of these companies about to sue the other one? What are the technical differences between the two printers?

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by FreemanNg View Post
    This looks disconcertingly similar to the EasyArts Ares on Indiegogo. What's the story here? Is one of these companies about to sue the other one? What are the technical differences between the two printers?
    It appears that if anyone is going to sue anyone FLUX would have the leg to stand on seeing as they came first. EasyArt could just be a rebranded attempt at this printer if it failed the first time.