Close

3D Printed Lower Receiver for AR-15 Created by WayFairy

Reddit user schlauncha took on the challenge of 3D printing his own gun, using the open source design of the WarFairy 3D printed AR-15 lower. With some modifications, schlauncha was able to shoot the gun successfully but was plagued with issues, and ended up with a vertical split through the rear takedown pin. Although he was able to fix the 3D printed gun with acetone, it continued to have problems. He thought the 3D printed gun held up better than expected, but is thinking of retiring that model. Check out more details: http://3dprint.com/22948/3d-printed-ar-15-lower-gun/

Below is a photo of schlauncha's 3D printed AR-15 lower, in red:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Two biggest problems with this one that I built: The direction of the 3D printed layers in critical areas caused splitting, and the design left insufficient clearance inside the buffer tube. While the parts were printed in the default positions of the files, with what I know now I should've repositioned the grip / trigger area (where the cracks kept happening) to print in a position that would be "inverted" relative to when it's on a completed rifle. As for the buffer tube, I added .015" to its inside diameter for my latest design, and this time everything drops in and slides just fine.

The only issue I have with the article is where it states that this red one had anything to do with the Hanuman. No, I based this off the Charon, which does have a safety. The safety selector is visible in the picture above (vertical black line to the rear of the trigger). Any talk of something without a safety was in regard to my latest design in its early stages, which now has been designed to feature a safety selector.

Big points I'd like to make in general: I've built firearms before using machine tools, so this 3D printer isn't suddenly letting me build guns. I have purchased firearms from dealers so there is plenty of paperwork showing I own firearms. My primary usage of 3D printing is to allow my designs to more easily move from design to physical object. Just to preemptively stop any concerns of what 3D printing could LEAD to. It's not leading to anything - I'd be doing this anyways by more conventional means (machining). This just better facilitates my creative process. And just to restate it again, everything I'm doing is in compliance with my applicable laws, and all firearms I build are in compliance with ATF regulations, and all are for personal non-transferable usage only. I have no commercial interests in this, it is just a hobby.