Close

ChocoForm - Your Face in Chocolate Thanks to 3D Printing

Mechanical engineering student Jason Lee has started a Kickstarter (running through December 2) for his ChocoForm. Lee's process involves taking a high-contrast photograph or other image and translating it into a 3D print, turning that print into a mold, and using that mold to create custom chocolates. The chocolates can feature your face, your company logo, or even Han Solo, and can be made in white, milk, or dark chocolate. ChocoForm custom chocolates can be used as super-personalized wedding favors, corporate branding, or holiday gifts. Check out more: http://3dprint.com/22667/chocoform-kickstarter/

Below is a view of the ChocoForm process:

I think using negative volumes and a vacuum mold maker is a great idea. However if you want to experiment on your own, I will finish up my article on how to use silicone putty to create molds that you use chocolate, gummi bears syrup, or even hard candy syrup. Here are the results of a $20 investment, plus a $5 bag of melting chocolate wafers from the grocery store. The other types of candy are little harder to make, but doable in a half hour:

Attachment 3286Attachment 3287Attachment 3288Attachment 3289P1030884 (Large).jpg

Mike
    All Things 3D