Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    so is ABS like worse then PLA? should i switch to a PLA printer?

Depends on what your needs are , I personally prefer ABS over PLA...... And I prefer nylon over ABS..... Really alot of variables to consider

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    pla is shinier, much much much easier to print with and sands pretty easily. You'll probably have to paint and lacquer to get a really shiny finish.

I printed with abs for my first 5 moinths or so, then tried pla and will now only use abs as a last resort.

All printers can use pla - but you need a heated printbed to use abs.

And nylon - hell that's a real bastard to get decent prints from.

Dumb Question, like i can purchase the Da Vinci right now, but do 3d printers go on sale on Black Friday? cuz the place where i worked is closed for the season (re opens in 5 months), and the 3d printer i originally wanted was the Ultimaker, but that was going to be bought after i got the 1k+ for my gaming PC.
    so i guess the question is, should i save up? wait for the job? is there a sale on Black Friday?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by PTRent View Post
    Dumb Question, like i can purchase the Da Vinci right now, but do 3d printers go on sale on Black Friday? cuz the place where i worked is closed for the season (re opens in 5 months), and the 3d printer i originally wanted was the Ultimaker, but that was going to be bought after i got the 1k+ for my gaming PC.
    so i guess the question is, should i save up? wait for the job? is there a sale on Black Friday?
    Don't buy a Da-vinci. The price is low, but so is the quality of the print output. Buy something like a replicator2/flashforge, they can be found for about $750 now.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

both of those look like they have small build heights

Has anybody used the UP! Mini? According to this page it's the best 3d printer in this price range.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by cetsa View Post
    Has anybody used the UP! Mini? According to this page it's the best 3d printer in this price range.
    It's an ok model, that was probably the first machine I ever saw up close working... they are pretty tiny tho, very small build volume, but I would go an Up mini over a davinci any day.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    It's an ok model, that was probably the first machine I ever saw up close working... they are pretty tiny tho, very small build volume, but I would go an Up mini over a davinci any day.
    why so mean to the Davinci? and i only have about $600 for the next 5-6 months, the only spending im prolly gonna do is Pokemon ORAS, i want to save up for an Ultimaker, is that a good choice

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by PTRent View Post
    why so mean to the Davinci?
    While the DaVinci is cheap, it uses sealed cartridges for its filament that have security chips to keep you from using anyone else's material. Of course, the stuff costs significantly more than other brands of the same material. This pricing scheme is rather deceptive, and while the quality of the printer itself is okay for the price, you'll find that it's actual cost, including a reasonable amount of printing material, you'll find that there are just better options.

Also, the "sell the printer cheap to get them hooked on marked up materials" model is damaging to the credibility of 3D printing in general (IMO), and supporting the company that makes the DaVinci (and other companies that used chipped cartridges for materials) is like rewarding bad behavior.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12