Close

German Researchers 3D Printing Fabric-like Structures with Plastics

German scientists from the Faculty of Textile and Clothing Technology at the Niederrhein University of Applied Sciences are exploring the possibilities in combining 3D printing technology and textile weaves. Testing 3D printing in three textile weave applications -- 3D printed layer structures, lace, and weft knitted structures -- the team found surprising results. The best performance was found in lace and soft PLA weft knitted structures, though neither is quite up to wearable standards quite yet. Read more details in the full article: http://3dprint.com/21630/german-3d-printed-textiles/

Below is a photo of 3D printed lace:

Loved the article

Hi! I loved this article. I´m fashion designer and I have interesting in 3D printing technology and textile weaves.
    Do you know more information about the subject? Or about others researching in combining 3D printing technology and textile weaves?
    Thank you
    Marina

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Krassenstein View Post
    German scientists from the Faculty of Textile and Clothing Technology at the Niederrhein University of Applied Sciences are exploring the possibilities in combining 3D printing technology and textile weaves. Testing 3D printing in three textile weave applications -- 3D printed layer structures, lace, and weft knitted structures -- the team found surprising results. The best performance was found in lace and soft PLA weft knitted structures, though neither is quite up to wearable standards quite yet. Read more details in the full article: http://3dprint.com/21630/german-3d-printed-textiles/

Below is a photo of 3D printed lace:

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    Hi Marina,

I have some experience creating textile weaves. You may want to use Rhinoceros+Grasshopper 3d modeling tools for this.
    You may want to look at the work of Pauline van Dongen, a fashion designer I collaborated with to create 3D printed flexible fabric-like structures.
    Also the University of Technology in Goteborg, Sweden is doing research into this area.
    And take a look at the work of Bradley Rothenberg.
    If you have more specific questions I may be able to give you more information!

Regards
    Ralph