Close

Tools to use 2 colors on a single stl model

Is there or are there any tools that would allow the use of both nozzles in a print, something like I have an stl file that is a batman type logo and it would look really good if the center bat raised area was yellow and the rest of the model be black, I can see a bunch of places where I might need this in creating parts, ie printing models with changes and upgrades to a model in a different color than the rest of the model, it would be a great visual aide and assist design folks with changes as they take place from one generation to the next.

Student
    What desktop software are you using? I use the makerbot software, you simply have to define which part gets which color. It will print two 'walls' on either side of the print, it helps clear/clean each nozzle before laying down the corresponding layer.

I am using the Simplify3D software, are you defining areas on a single model as the two different colors?

If you want to use multiple colors on a single .STL file then your only option are:
    - Use a Z-pause to swap materials;
    - Use different processes (S3D) with different starting heights that both use different nozzles.

But, these effect both only can change the color per LAYER.

If you want to change the color of a piece of the .STL independent of layer (aka, multiple colors on a single layer) then you need to split the .STL file.
    For this you can use any CAD/modeling software that you like and/or Google ways to split the model, because you will need 2 .STL files (that combine together as one) to use 2 different nozzles.

I appreciate your assistance, very valuable help.
    Thank you!

No problem. If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I use openscad which makes it real easy to spilt models into two parts.

You just comment out the bits you want in a different colour, render and save as stl and reverse for second part.

You then load both stl files - make sure they're not moved to the bed surface.

In s3d (actually really crap for dual extrusions at the moment) you need a seperate process for each model. Load the dual extruder profile and select left for one model and right for the other.
    Personally - for dual extrusions - I'd use makerware - the nozzle wipe walls keep the print clean. It takes a lot longer - but you do get really nice prints.
    I found with s3d that the edges of the model acted as the wipe and get crusty with both colours. Plus you'll get bits of plastic mixing in the body of the print as well. It's not good.
    And ticking all the nozzle wipe options - makes absolutely no difference at all.

s3d have promised a lot of dual print improvements in the next update - so fingers crossed. :-)

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    I use openscad which makes it real easy to spilt models into two parts.

You just comment out the bits you want in a different colour, render and save as stl and reverse for second part.

You then load both stl files - make sure they're not moved to the bed surface.

In s3d (actually really crap for dual extrusions at the moment) you need a seperate process for each model. Load the dual extruder profile and select left for one model and right for the other.
    Personally - for dual extrusions - I'd use makerware - the nozzle wipe walls keep the print clean. It takes a lot longer - but you do get really nice prints.
    I found with s3d that the edges of the model acted as the wipe and get crusty with both colours. Plus you'll get bits of plastic mixing in the body of the print as well. It's not good.
    And ticking all the nozzle wipe options - makes absolutely no difference at all.

s3d have promised a lot of dual print improvements in the next update - so fingers crossed. :-)
    Makerware for me still does the best for dual extrusion, proftweak allows you to set both nozzles at diff temperatures too so you can print abs+pla
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com