Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

The Spotify of 3D Printing?

This is an interesting concept. It doesn't really go into details, but perhaps there would be some sort of subscription fee in order to print designs.
    'Spotify for 3D printing' launches stream

9 December 2013 Last updated at 00:24 GMT
    First it was music, movies and novels but now everything appears to be at risk of piracy.
    One company, Authentise hopes that by allowing the "streaming" of objects to 3D printers, the theft of design plans can be avoided.
    BBC Click's Sumi Das looks at how object design is being protected from piracy, creating an opportunity for developers to realise their dreams rather than a risk of them being taken for free.

Entire article at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25266606

I can't realy see a great benefit from Streaming it when you can just download it within seconds and print it anyhow?

Or am i wrong?

Dont think I would rely on a Streaming for printing anyway...

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLuigi View Post
    I can't realy see a great benefit from Streaming it when you can just download it within seconds and print it anyhow?

Or am i wrong?
    Thats the point, they want to stop you doing that. Another good way to stop it is to simply not upload your precious design to thingiverse or similar. If someone wants to model you object and copy it (by sight) theres nothing you can do about it really, China's been doing that forever, but if it's people actually taking your design files and claiming your intellectual work, then yeah the best solution in my mind is to simply keep your designs yours.

Ahhh... that way, you could control how many time he "print it". Wize.

Well you can still license your product, if someone copy's it and sells it he is actualy breaking the law,

If you think you've got a product that should not be shared online, well don't put it online as Geoff mentiont,

Also i guess this will also come linked with a subscription version.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLuigi View Post
    Well you can still license your product, if someone copy's it and sells it he is actualy breaking the law,

If you think you've got a product that should not be shared online, well don't put it online as Geoff mentiont,

Also i guess this will also come linked with a subscription version.
    I don't think China is too concerned with licensing take a look at something like a Rolex watch.

Here's a funny story, ill keep it short. My uncle was robbed some years back, his house broken into. He had 2 Rolex watches sitting on his night stand.
    One of them was real, worth 16,000 dollars, the other a fake worth $20 he got whilst in China.

For some obscure reason, the thief did not take the expensive Rolex, he took the fake one (now, any good thief would have taken both.. so who knows the reason for that one... we'll never know) Anyway, besides my uncle being incredibly lucky that night the moral of the story is, even knock off's can be just as popular, or fool people just as easily. Be it a Rolex, or a 3D printed article that someone designed and attached a license to.

Also the current law does not really support 3D printing licensing (if you read into it and get picky) The design, or file can't be made commercial, but as far as actually selling a print from that design, it's a very grey area at the moment.