Close

Engineer-in-Training

How long to let prints/HBP cool before removing?

4th and 5th print in the books as of this morning (did two parts in the same build) with one of them being my 1st dual color job. Seems to have worked well though i haven't removed the parts yet but as I wait for things to cool it leads to my question. At what temperate (for the hbp) or after how long are you removing parts after a print? Up to this point I've been waiting for the hbp to drop to around 50C or so but that's totally arbitrary and based only on my level of patience (or lack there of). Once I see 50 on my machine status indicator (creator pro) I typically shut it off and remove the parts. I've had no issues up to this point with this process but I'm curious if I'm setting myself up for trouble and/or if there is a higher/lower temp that I should be looking for before removing my prints.

For now I'm only printing in ABS because that's all I have but temps/times for PLA or other materials you all have worked with would be appreciated as I do plan to branch out soon.

Senior Engineer
    Generally the cooler you let it get the easier it is to remove form the bed. Once back at room temperature they tend to fall off with the slightest tap.

Nothing wrong with the way you are doing it and time will teach you, once you have broken a few prints trying to take them off too early you will learn what's best for your printer.

Engineer-in-Training
    Ok cool thanks. So far no breakage (fingers crossed there) so I'll keep on keepin on until i end up having problems

Technician
    I never have a problem with breakage if I remove prints between 30 and 40c. 30c is generally a little easier to do just a little pressure by hand. At 40c sometimes I need to use slight pressure with a blade but never break or warp a part. Much above 40c gets difficult and risky if a thin walled part.

Engineer-in-Training
    I've been specifically avoiding using any sort of blade or scraper for fear of damaging the kapton tape. Having recently gotten a roll of the stuff I'm less worried about it but it's still a bit of a pain to apply so the longer it lasts the happier I am. I've considered a glass plate but don't want to deal with the abs/acetone slurry so if I do get one it would be only for ease of removal when the tape needs to be replaced.

Engineer-in-Training
    Once back at room temperature they tend to fall off with the slightest tap.
    Does this apply to PET ?

I let my print to cool till around room temperature. it can be remove without any efforts.
    ABS tends to cool slower than PLA. Sometime, I cool my print with a fan if I need to get my next print going soon.
    I am sure you will get used to it soon. Not to worry. Enjoy