Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to 3d

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiff2022 View Post
    Ok I don't see the correct area in the forum so I'll ask here. Never done any 3d modeling or printing before but I'm diving in head first, downloaded blender and pre ordered a peachy. Anyway, my problem is that blender seems pretty high speed (read: complicated as crap). Anything else I should try to work my way into it without being overwhelmed?
    Blender is easier than you think, perhaps you approached it in the wrong way? i.e did you have a clear goal of a model you wanted to make or were you just mucking around? Find a youtube tutorial on making something simple like a hammer, or screwdriver in blender, it teaches a good deal of techniques.

I went from 3DsMax to blender, so the interface was as complicated for me as you found it, but honestly a few days of youtube tutorials I found it good.. then after a couple of years, I would swear by it. I have never had to pay for it, although I have donated because I want to see it continue on and improve, because they have always done such a good job with updates.

The hot-keys are the trick in blender, once those are burned into your brain, your workflow becomes accelerated at a monumental pace because you are doing 3-4 functions in a split second rather than manually mousing to all the icons etc.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Technician
    Follow Serena On Twitter
    P
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Blender is easier than you think, perhaps you approached it in the wrong way? i.e did you have a clear goal of a model you wanted to make or were you just mucking around? Find a youtube tutorial on making something simple like a hammer, or screwdriver in blender, it teaches a good deal of techniques.

I went from 3DsMax to blender, so the interface was as complicated for me as you found it, but honestly a few days of youtube tutorials I found it good.. then after a couple of years, I would swear by it. I have never had to pay for it, although I have donated because I want to see it continue on and improve, because they have always done such a good job with updates.

The hot-keys are the trick in blender, once those are burned into your brain, your workflow becomes accelerated at a monumental pace because you are doing 3-4 functions in a split second rather than manually mousing to all the icons etc.
    As a graphic designer who worked with photoshop and illustrator for over 10 years I thought blender had a pretty steep learning curve. Kept at it though and now I really am liking it. However- I echo Geoff on one of Blenders best attributes- it's FREE. )) So getting started with it is easy. In addition to the youtube videos I'd also add that you can check out Lynda.com. You get a free short trial and then it's like 20 bucks a month. BUT in that one month you can all the blender courses they have. And they have several really good ones and also an intro to 3d printing course that's great too. The video courses are very professional and progressive techniques are taught. I got my $20 worth for sure. And yes those hot keys! Still trying to get the hang of them but my workflow is getting much better using them. Tinkercad is another simple one to look into- kind of like the Autodesk 123D one. Those two and sketchup seem to be a little more simple and then you have blender, rhino, maya, 3dsmax, etc.... Try any that let you get a free trial and see what you prefer.

Good luck!

Technologist
    Add Chayat on Shapeways
    Wings 3d! it's about has complicated as real life clay.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12