Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Stratasys brings Nylon 12 into the 3D FDM printing

Looks like people will soon be able to print tougher, flexible products using Nylon 12. I love the fact that we see new materials making their way to 3D Printing on a daily basis!

More material options in 3D printing, also known as additive manufacturing (AM), are opening doors for greater opportunities across a broader range of applications. Nylon has long been a popular material for molding tough parts that offer wear resistance among other properties. Now Stratasys Ltd., a manufacturer of 3D printers and materials for personal use, prototyping and production, has announced the availability of Nylon 12 for the company's FDM (Fused Deposition Modeling) Fortus 3D production systems.
    Stratasys believes that with FDM Nylon 12, its FDM technology creates tougher, more flexible unfilled nylon parts than other additive manufacturing technologies can. FDM Nylon 12 offers up to five times greater to breaking and better impact strength compared to even the strongest FDM materials, said the company of its new product. The new material's elongation-at-break specification reportedly surpasses that of other 3D printed nylon 12 material by up to 100% based on published specifications.
    This can create new opportunities for manufacturers in aerospace, automotive, home appliance and consumer electronics to more easily create durable parts that can stand up to high vibration, repetitive stress or fatigue. Examples include end-use parts such as interior panels, covers, environmental control ducting and vibration-resistant components, as well as tools, manufacturing aids, and jigs and fixtures used in the manufacturing process.
    "Nylon is one of the most widely used materials in today's plastic products, and among FDM users it has been one of the top requested materials," said Fred Fischer, Stratasys materials product director. "It is also the first semi-crystalline material and the toughest material Stratasys has ever offered. We expect it to be used for applications requiring repetitive snap fits, high fatigue endurance, strong chemical resistance, high impact strength or press-fit inserts. This material offers users a clean, simple way to produce nylon nylon parts with an additive process."
    Entire article at: http://www.plasticstoday.com/article...printing-arena

So, Nylon 12 is tougher and more flexible. This would be good to use for toys that take a lot of abuse, and even some mechanical parts that could not be handled by typical PLA. I'll be interested in see where this is implemented in design. Any clue on the price of this stuff compared to traditional PLA?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by BurnItDownBaby View Post
    So, Nylon 12 is tougher and more flexible. This would be good to use for toys that take a lot of abuse, and even some mechanical parts that could not be handled by typical PLA. I'll be interested in see where this is implemented in design. Any clue on the price of this stuff compared to traditional PLA?
    Not expensive, you have been able to buy it for some time, its been on Amazon for 6 months or so, $60 for a 1kg spool from memory. Every one has steered me away from it as it clogs your nozzles pretty bad (Ive been told) so thats why its still classed as "experimental" . I want to print R/C car tyres .. ill post pics if I ever get my hands on the stuff.