Close

Question Reprap - Queries

Hey guys,

I figured this would be the place to ask. I currently have a Replicator 2, but want to build myself a RepRap, something capable of bigger prints than the Replicator 2 (and yes, I'm very much willing to forgo resolution for big prints!!)

My ideal build area would be something where at least one of the axes' length is around 40cm, preferably Z-axis, with X around the 40cm mark and Y around 20-30cm, 40 would be acceptable

For you imperialists, that's 16x16x(8 to 12) inches build area, I'm more than willing to get lower resolution i.e. 300-400 micron layer resolution is acceptable.

Which way would you guys recommend going with this? I'd prefer to print with PLA as a) it's what I'm used to and I've logged 300+ hours printing with it, I kind of understand it better, and I have the printers in my "office" at home at the moment, so I can keep an eye on them for filament jams or problems with printing. That and I'd rather not die of ABS poisoning! :P

But ultimately, as you can probably work out from this, having the Replicator 2 means I am capable of printing all the printed parts in high infill levels, PLA I find is more solid, and has no need for a heated bed. Ideally, I'd love a dual extrusion setup, where I can use dissolvable filament in one and the real, good filament in the other, but I'm willing to forgo on that because I understand it would definitely add to build times.

I'm based in Australia, so any recommendations would definitely go a long way!

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Student
    Have you thought about making a MendelMax 1.5/2?

Yeah I had, but I was curious as to how you'd increase effective build area? I assume it would be a matter of making the axes of motion longer, like using bigger/longer rods for travel?

Oh, and I assume it would be possible to use a reprap with PLA? I don't think there's any real difference in extruder requirements is there? I'd just rather avoid having to use ABS where possible

Student
    If you're willing to wait about 6 months, you may want to look into a GUS Simpson. This has just entered beta testing and most of the bugs should be worked out by then. Most of its parts are plastic and the GUS is unique in that it can 'scale up' its own parts, allowing you to boot strap your machine up to larger build volumes. The only part that is not 3D printable or exchangeable as you enlarge it would be the print bed. Plywood cut into the correct shape should work there.
    Last edited by PeteD; 12-06-2013 at 04:44 PM.