Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bed-leveling - Which Thread to study

I've almost summoned up the courage to dive into the Auto Bed-Leveling pool, but which thread is the one to study and use?

Old Man Emu

Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    I've almost summoned up the courage to dive into the Auto Bed-Leveling pool, but which thread is the one to study and use?

Old Man Emu
    My suggestion is you grab the Marlin fork that Dacb did. It is here. https://github.com/beckdac/Marlin It is forked from a very current version of Marlin. He has the 'Basic' Enhanced G29 stuff, but it also has other good stuff:

• fixes for MakerFarm people on the Thermistor types
    • Ability to limit bed probing to area being printed.
    • support scripts for Slic3r and Cura for previous item.
    • Fixes to memory leaks in Marlin's G29

I think you would just take your Configuration.h and see if there are any settings you particularly like, and if so, cross them over. And you will have a good starting platform.

This will also give us a good case study to make sure we have things fully baked because at some point I'm hoping Dacb will push all the changes back into the main Marlin code base. What I'm saying is, if you start fresh with that Marlin fork, we will be able to work through any issues associated with this fork and fix any issues with it. It would be good for everybody if we can accomplish that. It is possible that it just fires up and goes with no hiccups because you have a MakerFarm printer. But I guess that remains to be seen?
    Last edited by Roxy; 10-19-2014 at 07:04 PM.

Downloaded as advised. Now do I do a straight install of the whole lot? Remember I've got an i3 8"

OME

Banned
    Add jtice on Thingiverse
    You need to change a few settings to match your printer.
    Such as X Y and Z build size, ESteps, but the rest should be setup for the i3v
    You need to also change all the settings pertaining to Auto Bed leveling too of course.
    This video series was a great help to me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awsI9bMndJA

Technician
    OME- I just installed this and it was pretty easy. The one thing that threw me for a few minutes is you have to uncomment the #define SLED_DOCKING_OFFSET (remove the //) otherwise it will go through the G28 and never start the G29 in your start gcode. I would like to see this uncommented by default, but I'm sure there must be a reason for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drone View Post
    OME- I just installed this and it was pretty easy. The one thing that threw me for a few minutes is you have to uncomment the #define SLED_DOCKING_OFFSET (remove the //) otherwise it will go through the G28 and never start the G29 in your start gcode. I would like to see this uncommented by default, but I'm sure there must be a reason for it.
    The whole SLED_DOCKING stuff is screwed up. There are missing #ifdef's and #endif's. Who even cares about SLED_DOCKING? It shouldn't be causing these problems.

Technician
    I couldn't agree more with your Roxy. I really think if this code is going to continue to be in the build it should at least have the SLED_DOCKING_OFFSET define uncommented or it will continue to be a stumbling point for most. If it is uncommented it will just be a line of mostly unused code that will not cause an issue for anyone, even the people that have a sled would need this uncommented anyway right? I really don't know enough to say one way or another and maybe there is a good reason for this to be there and be commented, but I think for most having it commented is a PITA. Oh...and maybe change the default value to 0 instead of 5.

Quote Originally Posted by jtice View Post
    You need to change a few settings to match your printer. Such as X Y and Z build size, ESteps, but the rest should be setup for the i3v

You need to also change all the settings pertaining to Auto Bed leveling too of course.
    Yes, I was going to go through the coding to make sure that the build size and Steps values were the same as the original coding for the MakerFarm i3 8"

Am I going to strike problems due to differences between the original i3 and the improved 13v?

OME

Technician
    I wouldn't think there would be much difference, but not really sure. But I don't see a downside to working on it and setting it up either. You can revert to the original code in a matter of minutes if there are issues you need time to resolve, and no need to remove the servo or mount. I had a number of issues with the earlier code having to add it to the latest build, but this new version is very easy. I took a couple week break and went back to the stock MakerFarm firmware and then gave it another try with DACB's build with Roxy's code folded in. Very easy with the new fork and all the issues I had before are pretty much ironed out. I know nothing about programming or code, so if I didn't have problems it truly must be easy. So you don't have to use it, but it will really be worth it when you get it working.

I'm sure that by using this coding my printer will behave much better. One thing I really must address is the calibration of all axes and the extruder feed. I've never done it as the printer worked well from the start. Now that I'm messing around with the coding, it is worth doing all the calibrations.

I'll have to wait until the weekend to do this as I have an exam on Saturday afternoon and then I've got to put some time into a vehicle restoration I'm involved in.

So much to do ... so little time!

OME

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast