Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Engineer
    emu is not kidding. acetone is about the most flammable substance there is. the vapor is explosive. just as explosive as propane or natural gas. you cannot use it anywhere near a spark or where a spark can occur. that means no electric motors unless they are rated explosion proof. no electrical switches, etc.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    56c? wow I can't get my acetone hot enough to vapour unless I hit at least 100c on my hotbed, but then again that is a hotbed and not direct flame, for the amount of time I am actually doing it my acetone might not actually get above 80c, but as you mentioned open ignition source would scare me a bit, thats why I use my hotbed.

Technologist
    I've seen threads like these so many times. Using solvents in this way at home is just a bad idea. True, acetone is not as dangerous as some. However, IMHO, it is the gateway drug, so to speak. If this thread keeps going, it is only a matter of time before someone posts the link to the carburetor cleaner video where the guy is using beakers full of carb cleaner at home, on his desk, in his office, a closed window in the background, to soften his prints. Then we'll get the insanity of the solvents people are trying out to smooth PLA prints.

Just stop it already! Eventually, someone WILL get hurt.

Before you start messing about with acetone, do your family a favour and read the Material Safety Data Sheet:

http://www.axiall.com/uploadedFiles/...one%202013.pdf

Note what is written at the top of Page 5.

OME

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by KDog View Post
    I've seen threads like these so many times. Using solvents in this way at home is just a bad idea. True, acetone is not as dangerous as some. However, IMHO, it is the gateway drug, so to speak. If this thread keeps going, it is only a matter of time before someone posts the link to the carburetor cleaner video where the guy is using beakers full of carb cleaner at home, on his desk, in his office, a closed window in the background, to soften his prints. Then we'll get the insanity of the solvents people are trying out to smooth PLA prints.

I use my wife's nail polish remover with a paintbrush on my prints, I guess I better stop before I move onto the hard stuff. xd.

hotplate, thanks!

The oven fan is pretty much powerfull... smoke dosent even "out" of the area... wont it work with Acetone? Or I could use something to create a tunnel directly to the fan?

Atlast, I could do that here at my job, we are using that for the woodfloor.... it smell hawfull in this area!

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by KDog View Post

Well, people will try it anyway. By keeping this thread on we can discuss the worst case scenarios and make more people aware of possible hazard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12