Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

WASP to showcase clay bone implant 3D printer

WASP is set to showcase a new "bone implant" 3D printer that prints in a variety of clay materials. They will be doing so at this years 3D PrintShow Paris this weekend. They hope to be able to make bone implants at affordable prices which match the porosity of human bones. Read and see more at: http://3dprint.com/19099/wasp-to-3d-...y-3d-printers/

Staff Engineer
    This is just my gut feeling here, but the more I hear about "World Advanced Saving Project", the less I would want them to print me a dashboard ornament, let alone something I'm supposed to surgically put inside my body. The have ambition and creativity, but seem to lack professionalism and technical precision.

Staff Engineer
    Yeah, with bones like that, you'd want to avoid playing football and other contact sports...

Andrew Werby
    Juxtamorph.com

The WASP project has been manufacturing 3D printers in Italy for the last couple of years, and their name stands for “World’s Advanced Saving Project.” WASP developed a group of uniquely focused 3D printers such as the POWERWASP, a 3D printer and CNC milling machine in one, and the DeltaWASP, a delta-style 3D printer capable of utilizing a large array of materials. But they say it's theri continuous research on material formulations which provides the driving force behind the continued improvement of their printers. Using what they call a modified version of their “cochlea extruder,” they managed to print a functional chair made of wood paste, liquid glue, flour and sawdust. You can read the whole story here: http://3dprint.com/70969/green-friendly-3d-printed-wooden-chair

Below is a picture of printer in action printing a wood paste material: