Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Add printbus on Thingiverse
    The spade lugs also just won't work here. They're for use on flat terminal blocks like on the 12V power supplies. Here, the screw terminals have roundish holes intended for direct wire engagement.

There's another motivator for finding a way to reuse the connectors that are on the board. The ground pins likely solder to a full ground plane. Depending on experience and the desoldering equipment on hand, they could be challenging to unsolder without causing internal damage to the board.

Definitely loose connection. Have to disagree about not soldering though. I soldered all electrical connections for 20+ years for house, commercial. and industrial wiring and had zero issues for circuits up to 440v 40 amps. Only stopped doing it when Code was revised. Then, surprise! started having some connection issues.

A loose connection will heat the wire and the solder can melt, granted, but stranded wire will burn up as well when connection isn't tight.

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven57 View Post
    Have to disagree about not soldering though. I soldered all electrical connections for 20+ years for house, commercial. and industrial wiring and had zero issues for circuits up to 440v 40 amps. Only stopped doing it when Code was revised. Then, surprise! started having some connection issues.

A loose connection will heat the wire and the solder can melt, granted, but stranded wire will burn up as well when connection isn't tight.
    Steven57, I agree with you that in some other types of connectors having the wires tinned is probably ok. Especially if you can really torque down on the wire with a more heavy duty commercial type connector.

I recently redid my wiring and after testing the strength of this specific RAMPS screw down connector's grip on both tinned and non tinned wire, I 100% agree with printbus and Mjolinor that for this connector on the RAMPS board non tinned wires are the way to go. I have updated my previous post to capture this change of heart. Big thanks to printbus and Mjolinor for educating me!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123