Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Eureka! I think I've solved print lifting!

I think I've found the solution to prints lifting at the edge.

There is a product which is generically called "Peel Coat". The product is a spray-on coating originally developed to protect jet plane canopies in storage, or in spray painting booths for easy dust control. Currently it has found a use as a short-term colour change for cars and motorcycles. (Last Sunday my son and I went on a charity motorcycle for beast cancer research, so he sprayed his black bike pink with peel coat.) Here is a picture of one brand of this stuff:

plasti-dip-5.jpg

You can get it at auto shops. In the US it is about $6 per can. In Australia we pay about $US24 for the same can.

I have tried it on my print bed with the following results: Print bed 90C - the print stuck too well. Print bed 70C - print stuck and was a little easier to remove. Next time I'll try to print at 30C, which is a few degrees above ambient temperature (otherwise the print bed heat control won't work)

Old Man Emu

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    OME, that looks really interesting. I'm going to get some at lunch!

FYI, I believe this is called Plasti Dip in the UK. Sells for about GBP £11.00 a can. Great find, OME.

It is sold by a number of different companies, Plasti Dip, Rustoleum and so on.

At this stage I haven't tested a range of bed temperatures, but I think this stuff will eliminated the need for a heated bed for ABS (unless the heated bed is necessary for some other purpose during printing).

OME

Engineer
    ome, this is great that you found this works and gets abs to stick well. on another note though you cant stop mother nature. abs, unless kept heated to its glass point in a chamber and allowed to cool evenly will always warp. if it is not allowed to warp then it will build so much internal stress that the abs just cracks. depending on the model you just have to pick the lesser of the 2 evils i guess.

I'd be surprised if this can prevent ABS from warping in the corners, this stuff peels rather easily, got it on my bike, although maybe temperature affects it, but if you got some pics, would like to see this.

As for PLA, why not, got some cans in my garage, gonna try it.

thanks for sharing

Engineer-in-Training
    I don't know about using that stuff for the heated bed, but some time ago I thought of using PlastiDip (or similar) to coat some printed objects, for example a handle for a GoPro camera; but I haven't found it locally. Have you tried applying it to a PLA or ABS print to see what the results are?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    I don't know about using that stuff for the heated bed, but some time ago I thought of using PlastiDip (or similar) to coat some printed objects, for example a handle for a GoPro camera; but I haven't found it locally. Have you tried applying it to a PLA or ABS print to see what the results are?
    Plastidip should not be applied to parts that will be rubbed off, it will slowly peel away, it does not resist abrasion.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    pla doesn't warp - not in my workshop anyway :-)

Pla plus and pla max from polymakr warp even less (than none lol)

Then there's pet - to be honest at the moment I'm pretty much looking forward to an abs free future.

After fighting it for some months I admit it taught me a lot about how to get the best from the printer.
    But pla cooperates with me rather than fighting and given all the new varieties and plastic types that are coming into the market - I just don't see any future for standard abs.
    Abs plus maybe.

So what's your objection to blue tape emu ?

Engineer
    Curious aa, i totally agree. I am going to burn up all my abs and then no more for me. Unfortunately i cant really use pla for anything. Just sitting on my deck in the summer turns it to rubber. For some things its ok though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast