Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Student
    Quote Originally Posted by AbuMaia View Post
    I found some 12x12 inch sheets of 5mm thick cork somewhere. Cut out an 8x8 inch square, cut out holes and notches for the bolts and binder clips, haven't had any trouble.
    I found some cork board sheets at staples that was about 5mm thick that I used at first but it was too thick and didnt allow enough room to clamp the glass to the heat bed using binder clips and the cork board also would interfere with bed leveling due to its thickness. The white spacer between the heat plate and the wooden bed on the upper right hand corner of the heat bed is also just about 5mm tall, which is pretty much why I was having issues with clearance. Im using just some cardboard now and it is doing the job just fine. If someone wants to use cork board, to get more room, it would be a good idea to replace the white spacer with a another spring (will result in 1 spring on each corner) to adjust for more room between the heat plate and the wooden bed.

Technologist
    Add usarmyaircav on Google+ Add usarmyaircav on Thingiverse
    ​I got mine from Lowes, they are shelf liner squares. They seem to fit just fine for thickness. Forgot to measure them last night though.

Student
    Hello hal9000,

Are you still Using the 3mm aluminum for your bed? I just wondering as I am running into issues with my 12" bed warping as well. I see MSC has a 1/8 12X12 sheet for $15. My bed isn't affecting anything yet, but I want to be able to stop thinking about it.

The same happend to my 12" bed. Sadly I didnt got a new one. Maybe because of the shipping cost to Switzerland 😬.

I had to order a new one.

Does somebody have right dimensons for the wohle 12" bed? I am would also like to make one in al.
    Colin gave me the drawing in a wired laser cutter file which I am not able to open.

Pgx2s

By the way I was able to use the bed again after i turned it upsidedown :-)

Technologist
    best fix is get the wood bed home
    put in oven or on hotbed at 180f for a few hours to slowly drive some of the moisture out.
    while warm from oven PAINT IT seal it

i did this just because i know what wood wants to do when i got the printer going on 5 months even better then the day i got it (the low temp even heat bake to some of the org bowing out apx 3mm)
    now i say from point to point no part of the bed is off by more then 1mm

Source file for the 12"i3v
    Attached Files Attached Files

Technologist
    I have considered making a aluminum bed for my 10" i3v & T6 aluminum seems to be what I have read works best for this. Maybe someone else has a better choice of materials for this. This site you can get 6061 T6 Aluminum Sheet to the size you want in increments of 1/16". I can get a 10 3/8" square by .19 thick sheet for $12.21, but shipping is another $13.61, so I would probably order 2 sheets in case I mess one up on the drilling process.

https://www.midweststeelsupply.com/s...1aluminumsheet
    I was going to use this part for the belt clamp under the aluminum plate, or modify if it does not quite fit my dimensions.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:619347

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Source file for the 12"i3v
    is this a file for a cnc to process the 12" blank not sure what it is for?

Technologist
    Thanks for this dxf file. I was looking for something like this for the 10" i3v, but some of the parts are probably the same & maybe able to shrink the other files by 2" for the 10". I scanned all my wooden parts in on my 2d scanner before putting mine together, thinking I might at some point be able to use them for tracing over along with measuring with a digital caliper to get more accurate dimensions. How did you come across these files? Are these available for the 10" i3v somewhere?

Thanks,
    David

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast