Close

Student

Unhappy PRUSA I3 - Filament Stuck - HELP!

Hello,

When I was trying to remove my filament to swap it, it would not budge, and got stuck.

Eventually it snapped and I have been trying to remove a piece of small, stubborn PLA. I have been printing at 210 degrees. I have tried heating it up, and pulling it out with pliers, which didn't obviously work.

Here's pictures of my problem. And I'm not entirely sure how to disassemble this piece of kit, so if you know how or what model this is, please tell me.

photo 2 (1).jpgphoto 1 (2).jpgphoto 1 (2).jpgphoto 3.jpg

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    The problem is you are pulling when you need to push.

Inside that cavity, under the piece that is snapped off, it is a little wider than the actual hole the filament goes into. When this expands, it forms a slightly larger 'plug' if you like, and this won't unload as its too wide too come out that hole. Happens very often with my prusa, in fact nearly every single ***** load.

2 solutions I use for that.

1. Heat it up hot, 210c like you did, even 215c.. then get another piece of filament and physically push it down on top of that one and feed it into your hot end by hand. This works usually and solves the issue. Keep pushing heaps in till all that old gunk is gone, then pull out the strand you were feeding in, put it back together and load filament, presto.

All your extruder motor does is push filament through that hole, and really, by hand you can get a decent extrusion if you push it through.

2. Do you play guitar? get a light gauge electric guitar string and poke it up the nozzle hole while the thing is hot, it will push that sucker right out.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

and if this dosent work, remove the part and put it in acetone overnight to melt it.

Quote Originally Posted by nka View Post
    and if this dosent work, remove the part and put it in acetone overnight to melt it.
    Acetone won't melt PLA.

I dont know your actone and/or PLA, but mine work.

I can't smooth it with vapor, but it dose melt it overnight.