Close

Lightbulb My two new heavy rings.

I'm new here.
    The rings on my avatar were made with a 3D printer and a silver casting process.

The first step was to write a C code to create a STL file with the shape (the program was called "STL ring creator"). It's only a C code, it doesn't have interactivity (size, shape and other parameters are introduced in the code), I call it "C script".

Then, I went to a 3D printing service in my city and I got a plastic piece. The printer uses a technology called "PolyJet".

This plastic piece was used to create two heavy rings in solid silver using a silver casting process.

I'm wearing them at this moment (I wear them 24 hours a day ) and they are comfortable, but I felt them heavy the first days (I expected it). The weight is 125 grams (one ring) and the size is 3 cm long and 1 cm high. I wear them in my thumb fingers, and maybe I could replace other lighter rings with "3D printed" heavier rings.

Printing in wax is expensive at this moment, but... not always is needed. You can print a plastic piece if it can be extracted from the silicone piece.

More details: the silver gets smaller when It solidifies. the density is lower when It's liquid. Take this in account to calculate the size of the STL files. I have made two photos of the plastic piece and one silver ring where You can see the contraction. The inner part of the ring almost didn't change the size.

Tip: a FDM printer can be useful here, You can test if a model will fit. It's cheap and you won't need to print two or more models if the size was wrong. I only needed one plastic piece because I know the size of my finger (I have two rings more in my middle fingers).

If You are interested for jewelry, I can help You.

104_1127_aclarada.jpg104_1121_aclarada.jpg104_1087_foros_m.jpg
    Last edited by Joyas; 11-24-2013 at 09:14 PM.