Close

First 3D Printed Ear Clinical Trials to Begin

The very first clinical trials are set to begin within a few months where researchers will transplant 3D printed ears onto a dozen children in India. The ears are 3D printed out of a plastic material and act as a scaffold, being implanted under a patient's forearm. The skin will attach to the scaffold and form an ear. More details on these amazing clinical trials about to take place can be found here: http://3dprint.com/17913/3d-print-ear-clinical-trials

Below is an example of a 3D printed ear scaffold:

hi my son was born with microtia i have been waiting on news that 3d ears would be available i cant wait till this comes to britain and hopefully will be available on the nhs if not i would pay to have this for my son as surgery seems really harsh for a child

Student
    Add Michelle Dhillon on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by susan38 View Post
    hi my son was born with microtia i have been waiting on news that 3d ears would be available i cant wait till this comes to britain and hopefully will be available on the nhs if not i would pay to have this for my son as surgery seems really harsh for a child
    I hope that trials will eventually be made available in many areas not just in the uk and india, i have so many questions..how much does it cost,is any component covered under private health, will it work in conjunction with atresia surgery? will it break, grow with the proportions of the face , who can perform this procedure and where etc...far too many questions i can't wait to see results of the first trial.