Close

How much interest in printer enclosures?

HI,

I've designed an enclosure for my printer with an extruded aluminum frame and acrylic panels on all sides and the top for full visibility. It will have small exhaust fan on the back panel to which I can connect to a 3" duct hose to pipe the fumes out a window or where ever. I was thinking about putting together a kit with the aluminum, CNC cut acrylic panels, hardware and fan. The buyer could print all the extrusion connectors, hinges, door latch, etc.

I'd like to get some feedback as to whether people would be interested in this and how much you might be willing to pay for it.

Thanks,

Could you explain what the benefits of something like this would be?

Quote Originally Posted by AbracadabraMan View Post
    Could you explain what the benefits of something like this would be?
    Sure. It's biggest advantage would be for printing ABS. I'd like to print inside my house (instead of the garage) during certain times of the year, but I don't like my kids breathing the fumes. (I don't like it much either.) Also, it seems most people get better results when the air around the printer is warm and without drafts. The enclosure would trap the heat from the machine and protect it from air currents. There are also quite a few people who are taking printers into schools for educational purposes. School administrators are very sensitive to any risks that the fumes might have. While we know them to be harmless, the public still doesn't know much about this technology and the enclosure would offer some peace of mind. same thing with printing in office environments.