Close

Makerbot Replicator 2x Print error .

HI I recently got myself a Makerbot Replicator 2x second hand nice and cheap with only 11 hours work on the machine ,
    Sadly when it arrived the gantry and head/nozzles ect had fallen off
    After a lot of internet searching for info I managed to reassemble it all , reline the gantry , level the bed and calibrate the nozzles
    the first few test prints (witches hat ) were prefect and my first few model prints were perfect (skull box of thingiverse ) But now I am getting a error in all prints
    It is leaving a line down the front left edge of the prints , it appears to be the start/end point of the layers .

see attached photos .

can anyone tell me why this is occurring and how to fix it thanks Senyac

WP_20141006_002.jpgWP_20141006_001.jpg

There are going to be people here that know way more about this... (Like Geoff or RobH2 or JohnA) But my first reaction is this is an artifact of your slicer.
    Last edited by Roxy; 10-06-2014 at 09:38 AM.

Hi Roxy Thanks for the reply
    I don't think its a slicer problem because prints made from the Makerbot supplied SD card print with an error in the same spot eg: front left side
    I am using the latest version of Makerware .
    Here is a witches hat just printed off the SD , as you can see there is a error down the front left side , although not as bad as the other model print .
    If it is a slicer problem then its a problem every makerware user would have because its showing on presliced models on the SD card supplied by Makerbot and sliced models sliced with the latest version of Makerwave ,

So I think it must be something wrong with my Makerbot since it arrived broken and I fixed it , well almost fixed it lol

WP_20141006_003.jpg

Ok I had to make a couple spacers for adapting filament spools so I thought I would print both in different colors one with the left nozzle and the other with the right nozzle
    to see if this print error problem is nozzle related and as you can see from the photos both nozzles reproduced the same error .

Also can anyone tell me why I am getting the little lumps of color filament of the other color on the sides of the spacers ?

WP_20141006_006.jpgWP_20141006_007.jpg

One that first print where you see the line or seam.... What is the nozzle doing at that point? Is that the start of a new layer? Or is it point in the print where the nozzle is taking a sharp turn? What is happening at that point in time in the print? That would be very helpful to know.

For example, if that is where the print starts a new layer, it is very possible that line is caused by the nozzle oooozing a little bit between layers, and maybe backing of the retraction a little bit more will clean it up? If it is where the nozzle takes a sharp turn, perhaps you have a tiny amount of 'play' in one of the axis and the nozzle is spending a tiny bit of extra time there?

Knowing more about what is going on will help you narrow the list of possibilities.

Hi Roxy ,
    the line/seam you can see is where the nozzle is starting a new layer but it is also where the nozzle completes the outer shell and then moves to working on the infill .

It seams the problem is with Makerware software causing a seam on ALL prints , I am surprized no one else has had this problem ?
    I purchased Simplify 3d and using that software the problem no longer occurs , so it must be Makerware