Close

Banned

How Much Will 3D Printing Affect the World within 15 years?

I thought this would be an interesting discussion to have. We all know 3D Printing is a HUGE technology that will change things for all of us, hopefully for the better. In just the last 2-3 years we have made tremendous strides within the 3D Printing industry. Where do you think things are headed in the next 15-16 year, let's say the year 2030. Will 3D Printing have a minor impact on the world in general, or a major one? In what ways? I will give my thoughts here a little later on.

Let's see.
    - 3D Printers accessible within 10 miles of everyone's home. Within 2-3 miles in big cities
    - 3D Printers in many homes (I'd say about 25%)
    - Major advances in medical technology and nano technologies due to 3D printing
    - Printers that can print microscopic objects
    - Major decrease in large factories, causing people to being an exodus from large cities and toward the suburbs
    - Loss of jobs due to the decrease in manufacturing.... but at the same time the GDP in most countries will begin increasing substantially.
    - The start of 3D printed foods will catch fire. Developing countries will begin to use this technology in a very basic form.

3D Printing will have had a rather significant effect on man-kind at this point, with the future looking a lot brighter.

There will be incredible ideas that pop up that we haven't even begun to think possible yet.

Technician
    I think everyone is way too optimistic about 3D printing. I think it will still be a toy for hobbyist. Raspberry Pi was suppose to change the world as well.

I'm not eating any 3D printed food. Maybe chocolates though.

Its easier to buy things than to make it.

I agree that it's not going to be the world changing technology that the media has made it out to be. I don't see people ordering things on Amazon and they print in the magic box in their living room. The material science to do that has a long way to go. We will have the transporter from Star Trek before we have the Replicator.

But I do think the uses for it will continue to expand as it becomes more known and available. Most of the developments will be in manufacturing though, not for home use. I can see a machine for consumer use specifically geared for food however. It will replace the talented pastry chef.

Technician
    People were freaking out over raw McRib meat, doubt they will eat 3D printed sandwich meat.

http://gawker.com/raw-mcrib-meat-loo...rib-1463002891