Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

marlin firmware and half height prints

i have a nwreprap prusa i3 (nwreprap.com)
    originally i misread the instructions and installed the sprinter firmware and managed to get it printing fairly well. i picked up a discount reprap extra large lcd full graphics screen with controller, and was trying to get it working (still nothing but working with the guys at http://www.makergeeks.com/xtsm12lcdra1.html on that problem)

anyway on to the problem, sprinter was running a max height of 100mm for printing (found the setting to fix that) but i upgraded to marlin (https://nwreprap.com/downloads/marli...-i3-250000.zip) for the more integrated screen support hoping that it would help with the lcd screen. in the configuration.h file it shows the correct settings for build platform (200x200x200) but when i print my 20mm test cube it comes out reliably at 50%. before switching to the marlin firmware my only height problem was when it tried printing over 100mm. am i missing something with the marlin firmware?
    specs
    ramps 1.4 controller
    software being used:
    slic3r
    pronterface

any help would be appreciated!
    Mike

Are you saying the calibration cube is printing at 50% of the size it is supposed to? If so, first make sure you didn't scale it down accidently when you sliced it. But if not, you can try changing the line:

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT

in your configuration.h file. There will be 4 numbers on the line. X,Y,Z & E. If you double each of the X,Y & Z numbers, the print should scale up to be twice as big.

x and y output is good but i get about half the height i should be ie 12.8mm instead of 20mm

just so you see what i mean the green cube is 20mm the rest have been printed since changing the firmware:cubes.jpg

OK.... So just scale the 3rd number. Try doubling it, recompile, flash the firmware, and re-print.

Let us know how it goes....

i double the numbers in the 3rd position from 3993.9 to 6k and the shafts spun in the coupler, so i dropped it down to 5k and got a vase print that was supposed to be 79mm tall and got this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

OK... That isn't all bad. It maybe you just need to tighten down your coupler's so they can't slip. If there is slippage, there is no way the movements will be accurate. You have to get that cleaned up first.

But if that isn't what is going on, your stepper motors might not be able to keep up with the higher step rate. If making your couplers tighter doesn't prevent slippage, some of your other numbers might be close to the limit. If so, Go find these lines. Your actual numbers are going to be different than my numbers (that are posted here).

#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500, 500, 5, 40} // (mm/sec)
    #define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {9000,7000,100,700} // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

If we are only messing with the Z-Axis, we only want to mess with the 3rd number. Make the 3rd number 1/4 of what it currently is for both of these lines. The reason is we don't want to be right at the edge.

And Doing a quick calculation... We need to change that 3rd number in:

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT

to something like: 5000 * 79mm / 56.7mm = 6966
    Last edited by Roxy; 10-04-2014 at 09:15 AM.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Bigmikeinil, I'll be interested in seeing how the printer works out for you. It was one on my short list of printers I was looking at.

According to the nwreprap site, the printer uses M5 threaded rods. That should put the steps per unit in the Z-axis the same as my MakerFarm i3v. FWIW, I have a configuration.h value of 4000 for Z in DEFAULT_STEPS_PER_UNIT. I agree with Roxy that if you think you were seeing the coupler loose at a value of 6000, it's probably still loose at any other value - just not as noticeable. The web site also says it uses Pololu stepper motor drivers on a RAMPS board. Was adjustment of the trimpot on each motor driver something addressed in the assembly instructions?

Have you went through the process to calibrate your extruder for the filament you're using? That'll affect the fourth number in the DEFAULT_STEPS_PER_UNIT values. The lower part of the vase appears like you might be under-extruding.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Have you measured how much change in height you get when you command a Z movement from software like pronterface or Repetier-Host? That'd be a way to keep testing the issue without burning time and filament on prints. That would also remove unknowns related to how much you're extruding and any issues you might have in the slicer software setup.

Senior Engineer
    Do you get the same height if you print the same thing twice?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast