Close

Makerbot Replicator 5th Generation...Filament WILL NOT load

When I go to load the filament onto the makerbot via the smart extruder...it feels like the filament is hitting something and zero filament will come out.

I tried the push the filament really hard through, but no luck.

When I push the filament through it gets to about the very start of the heater box and that seems to be where the filament comes to a blockage. (I did this by measuring the filament as far as it went in and compared it to the whole smart extruder)

It seems to be heating up fine to 215.

Any ideas?

Follow wpilgrim On Twitter Add wpilgrim on Facebook Add wpilgrim on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by theacaciasteph View Post
    When I go to load the filament onto the makerbot via the smart extruder...it feels like the filament is hitting something and zero filament will come out.

I tried the push the filament really hard through, but no luck.

When I push the filament through it gets to about the very start of the heater box and that seems to be where the filament comes to a blockage. (I did this by measuring the filament as far as it went in and compared it to the whole smart extruder)

It seems to be heating up fine to 215.

Any ideas?
    Is this your first time loading the extruder on this particular printer, or have you run prints with it before?

If this is your first time, try clipping the end of the filament on an angle, leaving a bit of a point, this should help prevent the filament from snagging on anything.

If you have run prints before, I would definitely say you have a clog. Basically you have a bit of solidified filament on the inside of the thermal barrier tube that is preventing you from loading any more filament. This is an extremely common issue that the gen 5 printers have.

If you recently bought your printer, have makercare support, or it is still under its factory warranty, contact support and tell them you have a clogged smart extruder and hopefully they will send you another one.

Opening up those smart extruders and unclogging it yourself is a simple enough task, but it will void your warranty, so best to go through them first if the above applies.