Close

Automatic Tramming/Leveling

I saw this neat post online and I was wondering if someone could help me out. First off check out the post here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ot/R3lSfnCz5W4

I am wondering if someone can help me put together one of these automatic leveling devices on my Replicator 2X. I just installed a nozzle cooling fan in order to do some PLA prints and it makes leveling the print bed much more frustrating now. So if anyone would like to help me develop one of these that would be awesome. Linking me to some parts and CAD drawings would be great too.

I just skimmed your post. But if you can run a Marlin based controller... Its not going to be that hard to get Auto Bed Leveling going.

ya I just need help figuring out the whole pin-locking mechanism

Quote Originally Posted by nbmoretto View Post
    ya I just need help figuring out the whole pin-locking mechanism
    Just so you know... I don't have a MakerBot. But I do know a little bit about the Marlin Auto Bed Leveling firmware and systems. The way it typically works is there is a servo that is controlled by the firmware. It will kick down a probe on the Z-Axis so it can measure the bed in different locations. When it is done making measurements, it will raise the probe so it is not in the way during a print.

Using that information, during the print, it will remap the coordinates specified in the GCode to a new coordinate system. The system is called 'Auto Bed Leveling' but the bed is never changed. What changes is the coordinate system you print in. And that coordinate system is normal to the 'unleveled' bed.

If you get a Z-Probe that kicks down and takes measurements, the rest you will find good help here to get going. Here is the servo I used to get my system going: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SG90-Micro-9...item3ce742cb1f

I understand what you are saying but for me I'd rather have a the be locked into place because with the makerbot adding a probe like you said isn't that easy because of the lack of open sourced hardware