Close

Ultra Newbie Question

Just got my 3d printer and have run about four objects on it so far. I have had the same issue each time…the piece sticking very, very tightly to the glass bed. The piece sticks so tight that I feel like I am going to break the glass getting it off and have to use a putty knife and a lot of brute force, including banging on the end of the putty knife with my fist, before the piece pops off and shoots across the room . It sticks so hard I'm afraid I might break the glass. I have tried glue, hair spray and blue painters tape with the same result. It is also the same with either PLA or ABS. So, my ultra newbie question is: Is there some trick to getting the piece unstuck that I am unaware of?

Thank you for any help.

Jim
    Plastic Scribbler Asterid 2200

Well, in my case I only use a thin layer of elmer's purple glue stick and it doesn't stick too much .
    The best thing is to wait for it to completely cool down and it usually pops right out.
    Now with that said, a very sharp razor blade scraper does the trick as well.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I've found similar issues, I just be gentle and work around the item till it comes loose. When it's really stuck, I'll surround it with water (just a little bit) to get the glue to loosen up and then pry it up and squirt a little water under it. It'll eventually come loose.

Thanks for the replies OVersliders and Marm. I have used the Elmer's glue stick but not the purple stuff, just the regular. The razor scraper and the water ideas will be tried with my next run.

Thanks again,
    Jim

Engineer-in-Training
    If you can put the glass in the freezer, it might help.

First time of hearing about water.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    It was an idea that occurred to me. I use a damp rag to loosen up extra glue for clean up, and it comes right up. I had an extra-stuck piece one time, and I slowly worked water under the part, loosening up the glue. Just make sure the water and the bed are about the same temp (Ie, let the bed cool!!!), else you may make the bed crack.

I ran a piece today, a fairly tall vase off of thingiverse, and I ran it directly on the glass bed without any adhesive. There was no movement during the run and, after the bed cooled, the piece popped right off. I know from what I have read that this should not be the case but it worked great…at least on this run. I will try it again on a different piece tomorrow.

Thanks for the help…it is greatly appreciated.

Jim

What is your bed temperature?

Old Man Emu

I was running PLA with a nozzle temp of 230 degrees C and the bed was set at 60 degrees C.

Jim