Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician
    Add Zulfe on Thingiverse

MakerGeeks' Random Filament Package - A $20 Pain in the Ass

A while back, I made a post about a purchase I had made on MakerGeeks' website. It also informed other members here that they were (and might still be) having a $20 package where you got a random filament from their site. This is a total scam.

The first thing I noticed when I received the box was that it was already open. This might just be my local parcel, but it was open, then closed. I didn't even have to cut tape to open it. Another thing that I quickly noticed, when looking for the filament type and color on the box, was that there were a LOT of Chinese characters. Everything on the box aside from the shipping label was primarily in Chinese, then subtitled in English. At first, I questioned the quality claims MakerGeeks advertised on the item, considering the description for the item states "I also promise the the value will always be WELL above the $19.95 cost you spend (usually about double)." I really doubt my filament, which looks like it was forwarded to me straight from China, is even worth $10. The description also says "what you receive is new, sealed and in good shape; no junk here." Again, this is not what I experienced.

I received a lime green ABS. When I print with it, it doesn't even stick to a sprayed bed at 0.2mm off the surface of the bed. It clogs a LOT. I tried printing a hand to test it out. I'm now on my third attempt because, on the first attempt, it clogged and stopped printing after 2 hours, then, on the second print, it clogged in 15 minutes. I can't even get my MakerFarm filament to work now because it's so clogged.

Don't buy MakerGeeks' surprise filament package; not unless you want some Chinese filament that cost them $5, leaving you ripped off $15 and hours of wasted time.

Technologist
    Follow RAMTechRob On Twitter
    Yeah, I tried the cheap china stuff. Just not worth the lost time and effort.

Engineer
    The makergeeks abs is garbage chinese junk. One of the worst abs i have used. Their service and other items are good though. Basically products from other companies that they are selling. Form futura, taulman, etc.

Technician
    why not try the 16dollar filament from microcenter? 16bux+tax for 1kilo of abs is not a bad price. I just bought two spools. I will do a review on how it works at some point as I am about finished with my black chinese filament that worked flawlessly. I have not interest in paying for filament that is over $20bux per kilo. I have a .4mm nozzle on my printer at this point, and will be doing the opposite of what others do. I will be going bigger in orifice size as at this point I do not suffer from resolution problems but speed, may order a .5mm all metal j-head at some point.

Technician
    Add Zulfe on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguarking11 View Post
    ...may order a .5mm all metal j-head at some point.
    Why not just get an E3Dv6 and some extra nozzles? One hot end for all nozzles, and it goes from 0.25 - 0.80.

Engineer
    the stuff from microcenter is toner plastics. the stuff is fantastic. i have been using toner abs for about 8 mos now. all made in usa stuff and super quality. i cant believe what they sell it for. 6 mos ago i was paying 40 bucks a spool for it from other suppliers.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    I sort of have a different view of the Toner Plastics stuff from Microcenter. I was thrilled at the possibility of being able to buy filament at a great price at a local store, often on sale no less. And yes, every body seems to love the TP stuff. So, I bought a bunch of 1.75mm ABS and PLA - basically a spool of every color the local store had in stock. So far I've printed from three of the ABS spools. It has all printed fine, except the "red" turned out to be more like outdoor extension-cord orange after it was printed. All the PLA got returned. I had two colors stop extruding at random points. On black, the worst of the two, prints would fail predictably from within minutes to within no longer than 1-1/2 hours. I eventually figured out that there were bumps in the filament that would hang up on the top end of the hexagon hot end that I have. I measured the bumps to as large as 1.93mm in diameter. That's a pretty big bump for 1.75mm filament. Toner Plastics couldn't or wouldn't resolve my questions on whether they thought this was just a bad lot of black PLA, so I returned all the PLA rather than risking prints continuing to fail with it. I even offered to send them samples of the bumps, but they didn't seem interested in getting them.

EDIT: I later realized that ALL the positive feedback I've seen on TonerPlastics is for their ABS...
    Last edited by printbus; 09-29-2014 at 08:55 PM.

Engineer
    I've had no problems with the MakerGeeks' $20 random spool. I've ordered two so far, and have received fluorescent yellow PLA and transparent purple PLA. Both came still sealed in their boxes and vacuum-packed bags. Both have printed without issue, of which I'm glad as this is the first PLA I've ever worked with.

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    All of the responses above lend support to this wisdom I'm about to lay down on you all:

3d printing is not the right place to introduce randomness.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulfe View Post
    Why not just get an E3Dv6 and some extra nozzles? One hot end for all nozzles, and it goes from 0.25 - 0.80.

I may go that route. I have not decided on which all metal head to go with. Right now I have a normal PEEK jhead that has been chugging away flawlessly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast