Close

Engineer

3D Systems Teams With Google to Make Custom Smartphones!

Wow, this is an eye opener of some news for me. 3D Systems, the world's first 3D Printing company announced today that they have teamed up with Google's Motorola to help out with "Project Ara". Project Ara is the plans to build a modular smartphone in which the parts can be upgraded sort of like a regular PC. If you need a better camera, just swap out the camera module, and buy the better one. If you need more speed, buy more ram, if you need a better screen, buy that too.

3D Systems will be creating a production line for Google's Motorola so that they can quickly print out custom enclosures and modules for the smartphone. It is certainly a very futuristic, and outside the box plan, but after all this is Google, the makers of the automated car, and Project Loon. If the project is a success, this could add significant revenue to 3D System's top and bottom lines.

What do you guys think? Will this be a smash hit?

Last edited by Larry; 11-22-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Banned
    I am really excited to see what comes of this. I was a huge fan of Project Ara, when it was called something else, prior to Google's involvement. With Google onboard as well as 3D Systems, I think this really could work. I do however feel there will only be a somewhat small segment of the market interested in such a phone. Everyday people will likely just prefer the latest iphone or Galaxy

I think this is an awesome idea. Everyone loves to customize things. Does anyone know what the pricing on this will be? Will we have to pay hundreds of dollars extra for a custom phone?