Close

Aurora Labs S1, S2, S2+ Metal Printers - Starting at Just $4k

Imagine being able to buy a metal 3D printer, capable of printing in 20 different materials for under $4,000. Well, you don't have to imagine any longer. Today an Australian company called Aurora Labs has launched a Kickstarter project for their S1, S2, and S2+ metal 3D printers. The machines start at just $4,000 if you are an early backer, and use direct metal laser sintering, and powder bed fusion technology to print parts. More details on these incredible machines can be found here: http://3dprint.com/16298/aurora-labs-s1-s2-3d-printer/

Below are the prices and some basic details on the three printers being offered by Aurora Labs:
    • S1 – Build Envelope: 150mm x 150mm x 200mm, 2 powder feeders – Kickstarter Price: $3,998 USD
    • S2 – Build Envelope: 150mm x 150mm x 200mm, 3 powder feeders – Kickstarter Price: $6,219 USD
    • S2+ – Build Envelope: 180mm x 180mm x 500mm, 3 powder feeders – Kickstarter Price: $7,110 USD

What are your thoughts? Too good to be true, or revolutionary? Check out the picture below of the team standing next to the S1 3D printer:

If they can really make a metal 3D printer that works well and can achieve the 99.5% density they claim for under $4k I'll be beyond impressed. I'll start stripping or doing whatever I have to do to get the cash for one.

Now let's hope it's not a scam. Other than that I think this is one of the most significant development in 3D printers since the first SLA machine.

Some of the backers have put a comprehensive list of important questions. I'll definitely check in once in a while to see if they are answered. Until then, ...

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well if in a couple of years time they're shipping working machines without any major price increases - I'll be impressed.

That is an amazing price for something that could make fully functional metal parts.