Close

Technician

Problem with 3D text

Greeting all. Question, I'm about as new to 3D modeling as new can get. I've been working on adding some simple text to an existing model provided to me. If you look at the one on the bottom, it was done by someone else and it prints good. You can see that the W is filled in properly after I slice it (Simplify3D). The one on the top is mine and you can see the gaps in the letters and it prints with little gaps in the center of each number. I'm using Sketchup to add the text and raised border. The model looks good and solid in Sketchup and in the STL viewer after it's turned into an STL but not so good after it's sliced.

Any hints?

Engineer
    ok, you have to remember that your extrusion is a certain width. s3d knows what this is since you have it set in your process. it also knows what that gap is and that it cannot fit a full width extrusion in that space. you dont see it happening in the circle on the "W" because that is a constant width. when doing lettering its always best to use 1 perimeter then the rest is infill. the 3:16 is borderline being able to infill. you can see its putting it in there in a couple spots. go into your process, set your perimeter to 1 then bump your extrusion width down by .01 or .02. reslice and view it. i bet it will look way better.

Technician
    Thank you! I'll give it a try.