Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aurora z605 print going crazy after 1st layer

Hi Im a total newbie at 3d printing, I got a z605 aurora printer I have printed a few things but after it prints the first layer it rapids across the second layer really fast and doesn't print exactly on the top of the other layer, also I cant get it to print in the middle of the bed, I just trick the limit to move it. any ideas see attached photo, im using 3mm PLA.2014-09-21 08.22.16.jpg2014-09-21 08.22.16.jpg2014-09-21 08.22.16.jpg

It's difficult to make sense of what's going on as there's so many things on the print bed. Have you got more than one print on there? It almost looks like you've got a dual extruder, too, as there's more than one colour of plastic on there.

I'm not familiar with the brand, but from the photo it looks like a variant of a Prusa i3, which probably means you're running Marlin. Is that right? Did yo load the firmware yourself? If so, try posting your Configuration.h here so we can take a look at it.

If it's moving really fast, it could be moving too fast, in which case the stepper motor could be missing steps and would then not position properly for the next layer. Try lowering the max travel speed. If you let us know what slicing software you're using, we can help with the setting.

Please, please, please clean up your print bed. It looks like you've crashed the nozzle into the bed at the lower right, that your z-height is too far off the bed on the middle right, and you've got a weird dual-colour thing going on under the print nozzle. If they are all part of the same print, something even stranger than what you've described is going on.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsussa View Post
    Hi Im a total newbie at 3d printing, I got a z605 aurora printer I have printed a few things but after it prints the first layer it rapids across the second layer really fast and doesn't print exactly on the top of the other layer, also I cant get it to print in the middle of the bed, I just trick the limit to move it. any ideas see attached photo, im using 3mm PLA.2014-09-21 08.22.16.jpg2014-09-21 08.22.16.jpg2014-09-21 08.22.16.jpg
    Sorry to say, you have been stung also.

These are not reliable machines, I know first hand also.

The first thing I suggest is replacing that super cheap melzi mini board with a RAMPS controller and rewire your steppers as per reverse the instructions for the z605.

The second is upgrade that god awful, advertised as 1.75mm compatible extruder... you are using 3mm filament.. I use 1.75mm, and when i got it I was like... where is the PTFE insert? it had none... its 3mm only.

here are some examples of the new extruders ive put in my z605, bought a new hexagon hotend too as the plastic one they sell with the kit was just junk

http://www.thingiverse.com/make:94391
    http://www.thingiverse.com/make:91822

Hi, The slicer im using is called slic3r the software is Repetitier Host, yes I know its just cheap chinese crap but I need to start somewhere wow that new extruder looks great, I actually cut gears for a living lol,
    I only have one extruder, the black was just a trial with the filament in the kit, yes I had a crash, I have just gotten some new blue tape. The extruder also clicks a lot, the whole mechanism is just crap from what I can see.....

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Hi, The slicer im using is called slic3r the software is Repetitier Host, yes I know its just cheap chinese crap but I need to start somewhere wow that new extruder looks great, I actually cut gears for a living lol,
    I only have one extruder, the black was just a trial with the filament in the kit, yes I had a crash, I have just gotten some new blue tape. The extruder also clicks a lot, the whole mechanism is just crap from what I can see.....
    Yep, the light plastic moulded parts really are terribad, my filament just chewed out eventually and the only speed it would run at was 15ms feed rate without clicking... which is so slow It's unbearable.

It sounds like we got the exact same kit, and the biggest downside with that melzi board is there is no LCD support for it, thats the main reason I got the ramps board, which was super cheap, I think I paid $50 for a RAMPS, drivers and arduino mega , which is all you need, you have everything else.

To replace the board for a ramps, you will upload Marlin to it instead and you can use Pronterface with Sli3er, I don't mind repetier host, but im used to pronterface more now due to my kossel, so I use it for everything.

When / if you replace the board on your Aurora, the cheap stepper motors we got are wired a little differently, but when you see marlin and see how much more sense it makes for this machine (calibrating it especially, and also inverting the end stops and motors..)
    let me know, be more than happy to run you through it.

I was pissed sure, I got a new printer that apparently was a full kit, but so far to make it actually work, its taken a new extruder, new extruder mount, X idler, new board , new firmware... yeah it's not a good starter kit thats for sure.

Hi, Great thanks for your help, im in Perth Western Australia, im sure I will need to do some upgrading, ill have to send you a private message so we can talk more about this thankyou.

If I make, change the extruder im just a lil concerned as to how to mount it etc, where do I get a ramps board from?

, where do I get a ramps board from?
    This one is on eBay from Adelaide. Copy and paste the number into the eBay search.

eBay item number:

It is a standard board, but you would have to swap your stepper driver boards over to the new RAMPS board.

Old Man Emu

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Yep, that would be fine, I don't see any heat sinks on the drivers, but they are not totally necessary, just see how warm they go after a few prints. The drivers i've found with most ramps kits ive bought , have the voltages pre-set, so really they are pretty easy to install.

You might need to alter the wiring for the steppers, but thats easy as pie, get a multimeter, switch it to circuit checker beep thingo...

Since you used the melzi mini, you should have the pairs already (1A,1B, 2A,2B) but I found I needed to reverse it all, use the multimeter, probe 2 of the 4 wires and turn the motor by hand, if you have a pair the circuit will close and beep on you. If it doesnt beep, switch a probe, you will find the pairs pretty quick.

cheers thanks, I have ordered it, I will let you know how I go once I get it, next thing is to fix the extruder!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast