Close

3D Printed Smartphone Microscope

Now just about anyone can produce a 3D printed microscope attachment for their iPhone or Android powered smartphones. The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory has put out a free design for the microscope's creation. By changing out the lens bead piece, the microscope can be changed to a 100X, 350X or 100X magnification device. The lens beads are very cheap, and the the prints will cost you just pennies because their size. More details on this incredible smartphone microscope can be found here: http://3dprint.com/14543/3d-print-microscope

Below is an image of the microscope on an iPhone, which can recognize bacteria like anthrax, and more.

Pretty awesome. This will be high on the project list as soon as I get my printrbot and set it up!

Has anyone done this yet? I was able to download the files, which open directly into Autodesk Inventor. Which is perfect. However I can not save them as an STL File. Because it is a mesh feature. Does anyone know how to convert this to a solid part?

Add bford903 on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by nhemans View Post
    Has anyone done this yet? I was able to download the files, which open directly into Autodesk Inventor. Which is perfect. However I can not save them as an STL File. Because it is a mesh feature. Does anyone know how to convert this to a solid part?
    I just downloaded them and they were already STL files. Looks like they're ready to print.