Close

Thermistor broke, can I use my old one?

Hellooo. So, I just got my new e3dv6 hotend and last night I was about to print but while it was heating up I noticed a burning smell and some smoke coming from the hotend so I switched it off and turned it back on and I got an error saying the temp was at 309c....

So, I put my room fan on it and let it cool down, after it cooled I took it off and saw that one of the legs had broke off the thermistor, I have my old one that I got with my Hexagon hotend but it is a bit bigger than the one that came with the e3d but it fits nicely in the hole that a screw goes in to to hold the original thermistor in place, will this be ok?

Pic:

Cheers.

Senior Engineer
    Provided it is the same type of thermistor it will be fine but they do come in a large variety of resistances.

It will not damage anything trying it for a short time. If the temperature reads somewhere near ambient at power on (20c or so) then it will be the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Provided it is the same type of thermistor it will be fine but they do come in a large variety of resistances.

It will not damage anything trying it for a short time. If the temperature reads somewhere near ambient at power on (20c or so) then it will be the right one.
    Yeah its reading around 26-27 ambient

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    FYI - If a thermistor lead breaks open, the LCD will read zero degrees (infinite resistance). 309 degrees is displayed when the thermistor leads are shorted together (zero resistance).
    Last edited by printbus; 09-18-2014 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    If the temperature reads somewhere near ambient at power on (20c or so) then it will be the right one.
    That's not true, thermistors have all sorts of curves depending on their beta value, even ones that are all "100k".