Close

Senior Engineer

Transparent filament jamming

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dknpower/bubbles.jpg

What is wrong with that. I have tried temperatures from 210 to 270 and the only difference is that at 270 it's getting a bit brown and smelly.

The bubbles are gas, presumably water but I thought I would ask. It is newly opened and has done this from the minute I opened it. It will not extrude more than about 200 mm before it jams and I have to strip the extruder to get it going again. It seems very treacle ish when extruding, sticky and stringy.

What filament is it? Is that a picture of it before it's been run through the extruder or after? What's the manufacturer's recommended print temperature.

If it's got bubbles like that in it before it goes through the extruder, chances of a successful print are practically nil. If after, chances are your temp is too high.

Senior Engineer
    That is after the extruder.

Knackered nozzle is my conclusion having tried lots of filaments in the left hand side. Temperature too high to try to make it work.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    could be wet. You'll get bubbles in filament that's absorbed a fair bit of moisture.

But 270 ????
    why ?

You could try drying it in a very low oven. If you've got a double oven/grill then put the main oven on it's lowest setting and put the filament in the top oven with the door partially open and leave it there for 8 hours or so.

I dry my filament (to be fair I've only neede dto dry the nylon 618) in my dehydrator - but I realise most people don't have one - so the oven method works just as well.

You can also put the filament in a 1 Gallon Zip Lock bag with a few teaspoons of rice. Or put it in a plastic Walmart bag with some rice and Zip Tie it shut for a few days.