Close

The Glacier Summit - Worth $5995?

I was looking around for a 3D printer. I have a decent chunk of money to spend. Can anyone tell me if the Glacier Summit 3d printer is worth the $6,000 they are asking for it?

Our Glacier Summit is the original large volume printer from inDimension3. Released in May 2013, the Summit is where the Glacier Summit Plus was spawned. It contains the same specs as the Plus, but the simplicity of your standard 3D printer. The Glacier Summit comes with a stand-alone control box (not pictured) that allows you to control the machine without a computer and print directly from an SD card. Lead Time: Approximately 2 weeksKey Features:
    • 16” X 16” X 18 Print Volume
    • Dual Print Heads
    • Multiple Tip Sizes (.5 mm, .35 mm)
    • Shipped Fully assembled
    • Open Source CAM software
    • Extrusion Temp 500ºC
    • Heated Build Plate up to 130ºC

More details at: http://indimension3.com/node/9

A person can build one heck of a printer, with a LOT more bells and whistles than that for $6k. The nozzle sizes are no big deal, pretty standard, the frame/body is nice, looks like it should stand up to high temperatures. The temp numbers they state suggest it will print polycarbonate, but they are not selling any polycarb on their site, so I don't know about that. It is a LOT of money for something that simply has a large build volume with a box over it.

A person can buy/build a large build volume 3D printer, capable of printing polycarb, put an envelope over it, and still be just over $2k.

I agree with Vanguard. This is a pretty sweet printer. However, you could build one for so much cheaper. Then again, not everyone wants to waste the time and energy to build a 3D Printer I guess.

Student
    I am admittedly a bit biased but check out the re3D's Gigabot for another large format printer.

Very good printer, from the looks of it, but worth $6K? I personally don't think so.

Technologist
    Definitely not worth 6K. From the looks of it you could build this one yourself for much, much less. I really don't see anything special about it at all. If you are new to printing, you are probably better off buying a less expensive, more established design to learn on before you invest this kind of cash.

Engineer
    I agree with Vanguard on this. If you have some technical skills you could probably build a printer for half that price which is just as good. Reading the specs though this is a decent 3D Printer.

I would be careful regarding this printer. I purchased the printer without the optional stand in late December of last year. It arrived in a crate with a broken limit switch and the forward guide shaft forward ends for the base plate axis off and resting on the support structure. We did not think too much about it thinking maybe that is how it is shipped. Wrong. We also then realized they did not send the tool kit nor the control box. By the time we got everything and started to run it, several days had passed. The first number of runs did not produce very good parts at all even with help from the manufacturer. After some time back and forth with the manufacturer, I asked what the return policy was. I was told it was 14 DAYS! What outfit only provides 14 days for a warranty on something costing over $6000.00? Their website was not very informative, especially in the area of warranty.
    After more back and forth with them, we decided to level the base plate of the build platform ourselves knowing that it was not done since it was shipped not fully assemblied. Here it is almost 4 months later and it still does not function as advertised. We recently tried using the support material as well with it being a mess. Now we have a $6000 piece of equipment that cannot produce a part as good as what we get in our $2300 MakerBot.
    Bottom line, be very careful in deciding to go with this printer. The build size is nice which is the primary reason for purchasing it however we did expect it to produce to the level of quality you would expect from a $6000 price tag. If you can no get satisfactory results in 5 days, return it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremia_Munchkins View Post
    I was looking around for a 3D printer. I have a decent chunk of money to spend. Can anyone tell me if the Glacier Summit 3d printer is worth the $6,000 they are asking for it?

Our Glacier Summit is the original large volume printer from inDimension3. Released in May 2013, the Summit is where the Glacier Summit Plus was spawned. It contains the same specs as the Plus, but the simplicity of your standard 3D printer. The Glacier Summit comes with a stand-alone control box (not pictured) that allows you to control the machine without a computer and print directly from an SD card. Lead Time: Approximately 2 weeksKey Features:
    • 16” X 16” X 18 Print Volume
    • Dual Print Heads
    • Multiple Tip Sizes (.5 mm, .35 mm)
    • Shipped Fully assembled
    • Open Source CAM software
    • Extrusion Temp 500ºC
    • Heated Build Plate up to 130ºC

More details at: http://indimension3.com/node/9
    Thanks Jeremia, I'm actually in much the same situation. I have had a very similar feedback from a hardcore reprapper at work, obviously in favor of the DIY fashion.

My personal orientation is that if I buy a printer, I want to spend time using it, not tweaking it. Aknowledged, this may indeed be a naive wish at this stage of maturity.

I would like relatively large volume so I'm thinking Leapfrog, the latest printrbot and the summit... I've contacted them, asked for consumables prices, specs, warranty conditions,... I'm still undecided, but I have a little time : I want to start during summer holidays.

@dbyram : they now propose 1/2/3 years warranty extensions for "small" fees. Even with a 1year warranty included, it is still under 6k$. Your report on delivery conditions is a bit more worrying. Do you still have photos of your unpacking please ?