Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Getting close to initial KS awards

Greetings, all.

Probably like many of you, I jumped on the Micro KS project, and am waiting for my super-cheap early bird reward. However, at least some people also jumped on the earlier releases which are scheduled to start in October. Are any board members in that pool, and if so can we convince you to post first impressions and build shots?

Sorry to disappoint You, but we aren't getting close to the initial KS-rewards, we already passed the first shipping-date (remember the "Superstar Backers" tier!) without confirmation of M3D that they sent anything out and of course no confirmation of a backer getting anything, yet they said in their last update, that everything was perfectly in time, when they were late already. Plus they promised a big update with the final tech specs that is two weeks overdue now. This is increasingly worrying...

Not too much fear yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Barmonster View Post
    Sorry to disappoint You, but we aren't getting close to the initial KS-rewards, we already passed the first shipping-date (remember the "Superstar Backers" tier!) without confirmation of M3D that they sent anything out and of course no confirmation of a backer getting anything, yet they said in their last update, that everything was perfectly in time, when they were late already. Plus they promised a big update with the final tech specs that is two weeks overdue now. This is increasingly worrying...
    I certainly understand your concern, but I have yet to back a Kickstarter project that didn't run late. We have at least seen pictures, via their updates, that show a number of frames, extruders, and other components - probably real. There are relatively few superstar backers, and I would expect M3D to trumpet their first shipments, but they might be trying to keep things low key while the first round of bugs are worked out. Still, waiting is never much fun.

As luck and irony would have it, an update was posted last night. No word on shipping to the super backers, but there is information on the delay and its causes. M3D has also posted some additional information on the specifications for the machine.

The update is available at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-printer/posts.

yup, that's what I call timing! ;-) Still this campaign is turning to a direction that I don't like. In the last update they imply that we should all be happy that they decided that we will get a full-sized-spool of filaments with the Micro and not just test-spools, yet they NEVER said, that the spool the Micro will come with would only be a small test-spool. Also everyone expected to be able to choose what material and color this spool will be until the last update...and calling it a "free spool" is somewhat misleading as it is clearly part of every reward that includes a printer. I know, that these are all just minor problems, but alltogether they show a certain behaviour and disrespect for their backers. I don'
    t want to say, that M3D is trying to fraud us backers, but they sure are spreading a lot of misleading information...

So, did anyone go to the New York World Maker Faire? Care to share any impressions you might have of the Micro?

Technologist
    Follow RAMTechRob On Twitter
    There are alot of videos on Instagram from attendees.

As far as I'm concerned, I would rather wait than have them put out a sub-par machine. I don;t need the $20 in filament either, I would rather have a better machine. It will be interesting to see the final products, since they didn;t spend a whole lot of fancy marketing videos and smoke and mirrors like the last big printer release.

Another update was released on Kickstarter last night. They are acknowledging being behind on the beta units, and say they are working to catch up. I'd really like to see more videos of the machine printing, and pictures of the output.

A couple of details were mentioned regarding the software. I am definitely planning to run this from a Linux-based system (Octoprint), so it should be "interesting".

I sure wish they'd update just a little bit more often - even just a quick comment to say "everything's A-OK." Even if there were a delay, it'd be better to hear about it, rather than silence.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast