Close

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training
    Here's the final print cooler mount. I have to update the STL as it appears there's a small issue with the centre opening when printing. I will probably design a duct for it that will mount to the other side of the fan, but for now, it appears to work well.

10304870_10152712945902177_7377233474309190063_n.jpg

That's great! Without any ducting, when it kicks on, do you see a quick dip in the hot end temperature?

It looks like you have plenty of space for an auto bed leveling system.

Engineer-in-Training
    There's an ever slight reduction, maybe half a degree, i lucked out, in that at its current angle, the bulk of the air that the fan is moving just clears the tip of the hot end. I will have to run some tests, but as it is, this should work pretty well....I wonder if there will be a need for a duct at all...I'm not sure how/where i would mount the bed levelling servo...I've honestly gotten used to manually levelling my beds over the years hah!

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMadRyan View Post
    ....I wonder if there will be a need for a duct at all...
    IMO, it depends what you're looking for in a print cooler. The open faced fan will definitely help on larger prints. What I found is that for bridging, low angle walls, or high density very small prints (maybe like the small extruder gear), I needed a pretty concentrated airflow aimed right below the nozzle. Part of this was to ensure I had adequate cooling on the part of the print behind the hot end. I had multiple prints where the upwind part of the print was great, but the downwind part was still having cooling issues.
    Last edited by printbus; 09-17-2014 at 08:47 AM.

Banned
    Add jtice on Thingiverse
    Did my first prints last night!!!

Dont want to highjack this thread with my own build and questions, so I made a post here...
    http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...7288#post27288

Would appreciate any input.
    This thread has been VERY helpful !!!!

Congratulations! I'm sure you read through Printbus's build for the 8" which is super helpful too!

Banned
    Add jtice on Thingiverse
    Thanks,
    Yep read his thread also! Great info around here!

I note that the adjustable Z-end stop has moved from Thingiverse to Youmagine. Here is the new link: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ma...top-bracket--2

Engineer-in-Training
    Thanks dacb, I just didn't like the TOS that Thingiverse had, and as I've got several updates coming, I wanted to move to a platform that was more open source.

I've also created a new print cooler for it, which I'm fairly happy with. Using a standard 40mm fan, it mounts in the same location as my old one, however it now features a duct and revised mount that should increase the airflow more than my previous design

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ma...e-print-cooler

Banned
    Add jtice on Thingiverse
    Nice mount and duct. I am using your first version now,
    Simple and small, but I dont like that it doesnt focus the air at all.

Do you think your design would work with the Clough42 HexHead extruder shroud and AutoLevel setup?
    [EDIT] The servo is obviously in the way to mount it on the left side, but it looks like you could mirror the design and mount it on the right side?

Id like to find a way to do Clough42s setup and still have a fan on the side,
    I dont like the idea of mounting a fan in the front, cant see the extruder as well.
    Last edited by jtice; 09-24-2014 at 01:39 PM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast