Close

Thread: Enclosures

Technician
    Add Zulfe on Thingiverse

Question Enclosures

Let's face it, when comparing airflow control, most RepRap printers are a little behind. The Makerbot printers feature full enclosures that retain heat well, allowing you to print very tall prints without layer separation. When printing the same model on the i3v, any airflow in the room can cause the bottom of the print to warp and the higher layers to separate.

I'd like to build an acrylic enclosure that features a hinged door to get in and out of it. This site (http://www.casesforcollectibles.com/) offers custom enclosures, but at a pretty hefty price. Would it be worth it to purchase an enclosure for the i3v? Are there any methods to reduce warping and layer separation caused specifically by room temperature and airflow?

Engineer
    You could tell Slic3r (if you use it) to build up the skirt as a mini enclosure as the print progresses. Just tell it to print out the skirt for the same number of layers as your part.

Senior Engineer
    Plastic fish tanks work well.

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Hey Zulfe,

I also was thinking about an enclosure before my printer came. My main purpose was to get any plastic fumes out of the house. In practice, I have a small sectioned off laundry room that allows me to seal in the fumes, so I haven't needed to continue work on this.

If this is any help to you I had a thread where I was sharing my design for a 8" Makerfarm i3v.

http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...-i3v-Enclosure

If you decide to design one, I'd recommend plywood sides, top, and bottom because acrylic is expensive! If you decide to design one definitely share some pics!

Technician
    Add Zulfe on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by gmay3 View Post
    Hey Zulfe,

I also was thinking about an enclosure before my printer came. My main purpose was to get any plastic fumes out of the house. In practice, I have a small sectioned off laundry room that allows me to seal in the fumes, so I haven't needed to continue work on this.

If this is any help to you I had a thread where I was sharing my design for a 8" Makerfarm i3v.

http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...-i3v-Enclosure

If you decide to design one, I'd recommend plywood sides, top, and bottom because acrylic is expensive! If you decide to design one definitely share some pics!
    Wow, thanks! I'll definitely take a look!