Close

Printrbot Makers Kit 2014 (Simple) - I feel like the print quality could be better?

Hi everyone, I am completely brand new to 3d printing, and I've done the obligatory google searching, and I'm still at a slight loss...

I'm hoping I can show the experts here what I'm getting, and perhaps someone can instantly know whats up, as it might be obvious to some of you?
    There are four issues I'm having.

Btw, at this stage i'm considering that I might be fractionally delivering too much filament? extruding too much perhaps? But that's just a gut feeling with no real thought. Its also the only thing ive not tried lol...

Issue 1:
    As I tweak the settings the biggest and most reoccurring issue I'm getting is that because of the way the software 'Slices' and creates the g-code, the printer creates 'steps' as it moves from one task to an other... While completing a single step, there is a 'bumping' effect as one line meets the others, and this is creating 'seams' in the work which is noticeable from the outside as an aesthetically annoying element to 3d printing. however, during the print, these 'bumps' are meeting, and creating a vertical lift of the layer. I sometimes hear the tip of the extruder clashing with it as it moves across completing layer 10, as it clashes from ever heightening lumps created by layers 1-9.

one section meeting another 'bumping'.jpgHow it should have looked.jpg

You can even see this issue on the skirt, as is moves from the outer ring, to the inner ring... In the following picture, you can see some other issues I'm having.
    IMG_2200.jpg

Issue 2:
    In the above picture you can see that the top left of the skirt has a 'curling' issue on the inside of that ring it makes. Could whatever this issue is be attributing to the other issues described above and below?

Issue 3:
    'Flapping'... Is this nickname I've given this issue, and I've no idea what to say other than to just show you the image and ask that someone know what's going on with it.
    It's also apparent on the facing side of the left part in the above image.
    Flapping at hight.jpg I don't know if it matters but this square object was printed where the flapping side is closest to the body, while the over lapping is closest to the printrbot logo on the underside of the plate.

Issue 4:
    Poor top side surfaces. Again referring to the above image, you can see an inconsistency in the top facing sides that I would like to be as smooth as possible. You can see the lip of the object printed (closest to the plate) has a poor finish. Where as at the highest point, the finish is better, excluding the flapping. How can I improve the finish of the externally viewable outside finish? (Excluding the flapping described in issue 3).
    Here is a close up of this issue:
    poor countersunk holes.jpg

I hope that I've provided a good description of the problem, and if there's anything else you'd like to know to help diagnose this issue, please just ask and I'll try my best.

Thanks everyone.

Damian

It very much looks like you're over-extruding. The first thing you should do is run through the complete calibration guide from the reprap wiki, then look at tweaking the extrusion multiplier in your slicing settings to fine-tune things.