Close

Banned

Ban on 3D Printed Undetectable Guns Expire in 3 Weeks

The temporary ban on 3D Printed gun parts which are undetectable expires on December 9th. This has Senator Chuck Shumar, and others scrambling to extend the ban which they say is a major call for concern. Along with Schumar, Senator Nelson from Florida and Leahy from Vermont are looking for the extension as well.

More details:
    http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...uns-ban-senate

Should this ban remain in effect? What are your thoughts?

I can't see how this law won't be renewed. If the government doesn't renew this law, I lose all the respect that I have ever had for them (which isn't much).

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    Good news. This ban has been renewed!
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/ga...lastic-gun-ban

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Good, It's something I wish we couldn't make.

The amount of people that have asked me in the past year whether I can make them one, or simply can make 3d printed Guns and my answer is simple, No No, and No. If there was anything that was going to screw this technology up moving forward, it's that. I don't own, never have or never have even (or found any reason in my life) to discharge a firearm, let alone build one - and also one that could possibly blow up and turn my hand into a bloody mess.. Sorry, not interested!

I also like to tell people of all the pitfalls you have when 3D printing. I had a real smart alec I used to work with, his approach was "Oh but isn't it just a simple thing? you click, download and print out the thing? cmon how hard is that"

LOL... if anyone has a 3D printer, you will all attest to the fact it is not always that simple. Fixing mesh holes, printing flat, printing straight, printing clean... these things dont just happen overnight, even with the best of the best printers. They ALL have teething problems that the user has to face - thats what I tell people about when they ask me about 3d printed guns.

By the end of the conversation they generally agree it's ALOT of hassle and expensive to obtain a firearm in this way.. you might as well go and just buy one if you are that way inclined.

Apparently the ban was renewed, but I read this morning that the Senate is not supporting the 3D Printed Gun ban. Partially due to loopholes in the law:

The US Senate has rejected calls to update the law in response to the advent of plastic guns made with 3D printers.

The Democrat-led body passed a bill last night that extends the Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988, which bans firearms that can pass undetected through metal detectors, for another 10 years. The Republican-led House of Representatives approved the bill last week.President Barack Obama signed the legislation into law before the ban was to expire at midnight, but some Democrats have criticised a failure to close what are seen as loopholes created by new technologies, such as 3D printing, an aide said.In May a group called Defense Distributed produced and tested the world's first 3D-printed gun, The Liberator, though it was only capable of firing a single bullet.Senate Democrats led by Charles Schumer of New York yesterday failed to win quick approval of a measure to require all firearms to include at least 3.7 ounces (105g) of non-removable metal essential for its operation.Without the provision, backers argue, the metal could be taken off the gun, permitting a functional weapon to pass undetected through metal detectors and X-ray machines and carried into supposedly secure areas.The Center for American Progress, a liberal advocacy group, called it "crucial" to extend the ban, but denounced the measure passed by Congress as "deeply flawed.""It does nothing to address new technologies like 3D printing that could allow terrorists and other dangerous people to easily make fully functional, undetectable guns," said Winnie Stachelberg, an executive vice president at the centre.The ban was first signed into law in 1988 by Republican President Ronald Reagan shortly after the introduction of the Austrian-made Glock firearm, made largely of synthetic material, which created a fear of undetectable weapons.Democrats say that danger has increased thanks to the underground production of plastic guns with 3D printers.Democratic Senator Chris Murphy of Connecticut called for an update of the law, saying, "This isn't science fiction anymore .... Someone can make a gun in their basement."Senate Republicans refused to provide the unanimous consent needed to approve the change on a legislative fast-track and Democrats then joined Republicans in voting to extend the ban.Top Republican on the Judiciary Committee Senator Charles Grassley of Iowa did agree that changes may be needed in the ban, but complained that Schumer sought a vote before many lawmakers understood his provision and what it sought to fix."Congress needs to gain an understanding of printed gun manufacturing technology and its relation to permanent metal parts," Grassley said, adding that hearings are needed.
    article taken from http://eandt.theiet.org/news/2013/dec/3d-gun-ban.cfm

Well the main issues is that the law requires 3D Printed guns to have a detectable metal strip on it, so that guns couldn't be snuck through metal detectors. Unfortunately this law only requires that strip. This metal strip is not permanent. It can easily be taken off the gun. Thus it's pointless to have the law if the law can so easily be avoided.

Engineer
    exactly! like a terrorist is going to worry that its against the law to remove the metal strip from his gun.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekPeterson View Post
    Well the main issues is that the law requires 3D Printed guns to have a detectable metal strip on it, so that guns couldn't be snuck through metal detectors. Unfortunately this law only requires that strip. This metal strip is not permanent. It can easily be taken off the gun. Thus it's pointless to have the law if the law can so easily be avoided.