Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Hello Printer - Adjustable Dual Nozzle Multi Tasking 3D Printer

There is a new RepRap out there. It's called the Hello Printer and it comes with dual nozzles that can be adjusted however you would like. It is also capable of being a CNC, laser cutter, laser engraver, drawing machine, and paste 3D printer. The kits are 1000 Euros and if you want to build it from scratch, it can be done for around 600 Euros. There is also the option of building or buying the Hello Super Printer which features dual build platforms. Read more about this new RepRap at http://3dprint.com/13298/hello-printer-reprap-3d/

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    There is a new RepRap out there. It's called the Hello Printer and it comes with dual nozzles that can be adjusted however you would like. It is also capable of being a CNC, laser cutter, laser engraver, drawing machine, and paste 3D printer. The kits are 1000 Euros and if you want to build it from scratch, it can be done for around 600 Euros. There is also the option of building or buying the Hello Super Printer which features dual build platforms. Read more about this new RepRap at http://3dprint.com/13298/hello-printer-reprap-3d/
    It seems like a nice printer. There's nothing fundamentally new here, but that's not a problem - there's value in them taking others' ideas and packaging them into a printer design that works well.

That being said I'm not sure that they've thought it through:
    - Two extruders don't mean that you can print one thing twice as fast, it means that you can print one thing twice at the same time. This doubles throughput. But since the two extruders move in parallel, you can't print two different parts of the same thing. People have been doing this with Makerbot (and similar) printers with two extruders for a few years - Sailfish firmware's Ditto Print does exactly this. It's great for trade show demos, and for cranking out many copies of small things. The one nice thing is that if the extruders can be spread further apart, you can make wider things this way.
    - CNC mill: a 3d printer frame isn't strong enough to support a CNC mill, which is much heavier and uses much more force to cut through metal, etc. Sure, you can use a dremel on a 3d printer to mill styrofoam or balsa, but I wouldn't call that a CNC mill. Start cutting through wood and metal, using a 5 HP toolhead, and you have a CNC mill. There's a reason that mills are made of cast metal, not bolted together - they need the mass to stay together given the stresses they undergo. And then - where does all of the milled material go? And how do you hold the work material down? They need clamps or a vacuum table, etc.
    - Paste extruders: sure.

So while I love the idea, I'm not sure it's real yet. if they can provide real detail, and in particular a video of the unit doing CNC milling, then it'd be very interesting.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by laird View Post
    It seems like a nice printer. There's nothing fundamentally new here, but that's not a problem - there's value in them taking others' ideas and packaging them into a printer design that works well.

That being said I'm not sure that they've thought it through:
    - Two extruders don't mean that you can print one thing twice as fast, it means that you can print one thing twice at the same time. This doubles throughput. But since the two extruders move in parallel, you can't print two different parts of the same thing. People have been doing this with Makerbot (and similar) printers with two extruders for a few years - Sailfish firmware's Ditto Print does exactly this. It's great for trade show demos, and for cranking out many copies of small things. The one nice thing is that if the extruders can be spread further apart, you can make wider things this way.
    - CNC mill: a 3d printer frame isn't strong enough to support a CNC mill, which is much heavier and uses much more force to cut through metal, etc. Sure, you can use a dremel on a 3d printer to mill styrofoam or balsa, but I wouldn't call that a CNC mill. Start cutting through wood and metal, using a 5 HP toolhead, and you have a CNC mill. There's a reason that mills are made of cast metal, not bolted together - they need the mass to stay together given the stresses they undergo. And then - where does all of the milled material go? And how do you hold the work material down? They need clamps or a vacuum table, etc.
    - Paste extruders: sure.

So while I love the idea, I'm not sure it's real yet. if they can provide real detail, and in particular a video of the unit doing CNC milling, then it'd be very interesting.
    I've actually never ever used my dual extrusion for printing 2 of the same object out at the same time, I use it for dual printing and mixing plastics together like flex and PLA , or dual colour ABS prints, and one issue is always nozzle drag, even when they are aligned if the model lifts slightly the secondary nozzle drags across the print.

With this design, you can shift that nozzle over if its causing issues and leave it dormant and then slide it back over when you want to use it, for me this would be very handy. Calling it the "Hello Printer" sounds notoriously asian to me.

Hi laird.
    Our goal with this one wasn´t doing 2 different parts at the same time, it was doing more parts at the same time. Bukobot and other like you said already do that and they do it very well. One other thing is we wanted do do a multipurpose extruder, it is thought to have additional features without the need to change it. We are releasing the concepts one per week. the images we are using are part of the manuals we are doing for them, We just didn't finished because we are going to the Lisbon Mini Maker fair next month and as you can imagine, we have a lot ti do. Even so I believe I'll have all documentation ready. The next addons we are releasing is the draw function and the cut function. Nothing new but together in the same piece in a functional way for the first time. At this point with 1 monkey you can use and combine 4 of this functions
    -Hi resolution Nozzle from 0.2 to 0.5mm
    -Low resolution nozzle for big prints 1 to 2mm
    -Draw Pen
    -Cut
    -Normal Paste Extruder
    -Endless Paste extruder (in finishing touches also)
    -Laser (we use a open-source project)
    -Cnc by spindle or dremmel.

Only in case of the cnc you need to change the head. Its only 4 screws.

As for the CNC, yes its only for soft materials for now. We use around 8mm to 10mm stainless steel rails, but for people who want do work for shure with stronger material we will use between 12 to 16mm rails. The double metal sheet you see for the structure is 5mm thick and also in stainless steel. As you can see its not and industrial cnc but its able of handling some interesting material.
    I have a movie machining foam, ill post it here later or you can see it in our fb, this next week I'll be trying and recording new materials so you can see. Please see our files for the structure in the github and share you knowledge with us to help improve this project. As you can see its really open!

The next step for us will be creating special options for this tools in the slicing programs. You can use now a regular one to use the tools, but we waln to simplify the life of all.

Hi Geoff
    w
    The company name is Hello3Dprintingworld from the junction of Hello world and 3D printing. We teach how to build printers and use them so we thought we are the Hello World of the 3D printing.
    Because our name is too long we use the short version Hello, and that is the reason for the printer name.
    We are based in Portugal, this is a "european product" hehehheheh

Best Regards
    Emanuel

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I've actually never ever used my dual extrusion for printing 2 of the same object out at the same time, I use it for dual printing and mixing plastics together like flex and PLA , or dual colour ABS prints, and one issue is always nozzle drag, even when they are aligned if the model lifts slightly the secondary nozzle drags across the print.

With this design, you can shift that nozzle over if its causing issues and leave it dormant and then slide it back over when you want to use it, for me this would be very handy. Calling it the "Hello Printer" sounds notoriously asian to me.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Hi Emanuel, I am looking again at this printer and I am wondering, it looks like there is very little room to move in the X-Axis? It looks like I would need to totally remove the second extruder to make room so the Xaxis could print wider than 5cm

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Hi Emanuel, I am looking again at this printer and I am wondering, it looks like there is very little room to move in the X-Axis? It looks like I would need to totally remove the second extruder to make room so the Xaxis could print wider than 5cm
    Hi Geoff, the image in the render uses an old version of the structure, you can see in the github that we have widden it so you could use Monkey using all the bed space.here are some pictures of the machines, this are the prototipes, I´ll try to send pictures of the final version later on.https://www.facebook.com/Hello3dprin...pe=1&theaterWe will be releasing in the next week or 2 some new files, like the box for the Rumba controller and a Geared version of the extruder so you can choose between speed or precision. Its very handfull when you cjange from the 0.5mm nozzle to the 1.6mm.Once more thank you for the interest ad support. We are trying our best to give you the best but its only possible with feedback and ideas like thisBest regardsEmanuel