Close

.40mm hexagon speed?

would like to know what would be the max speed to print with this hotend?

been printing between 20 and 30mm/s so far with no problems.

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    I usually print with a 0.4mm nozzle hexagon at 65mm/s on an i3v printer and have had no noticeable issues in quality.

It seems to me like print speed limitations depend on the size of the part you want to print, but I would say you could try bumping it up a bit and see what you think!

Is anyone printing at a higher speed?

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    I have printed up to 100 mm/Sec with my 1.75/0.40 hex hot end. This was with ABS on a 4-inch by 4-inch project box that I wanted to print fast to minimize corner curling issues. It's not my best print, but it did work. The inside holes for the lid screws are a bit sloppy, but a drill bit cleaned them up.

I have the range on my speed slider in Repetier Host/Cura set for 40mm/Sec to 100mm/Sec. Like gmay3, I usually pick a nominal speed in the 60 to 70 range. Most of what I print is small, however, and actual print speeds will often be lower than that. I'm usually also setting a minimum layer time for thermal management that will lead to printing slower than that desired setting. The 100mm/Sec was as verified by the gcode.ws analyzer.

FOLLOWUP COMMENT: I've been using the 100mm/sec setting more and more large PLA prints, especially as I eliminated various noise sources on the printer. I haven't printed any ABS since that project box, and might have some tweaking ahead for ABS printing.
    Last edited by printbus; 09-08-2014 at 07:38 AM.

Newbie here, how do I find and change the speed settings? Thank you!
    P.S. My first prints are resulting in small missing parts on the sidewalls of my objects and the layers are very noticable.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by BL_GrafX View Post
    P.S. My first prints are resulting in small missing parts on the sidewalls of my objects and the layers are very noticable.
    Setting the print speed is done in the slicer program. If you're using slic3r, first enable expert settings mode under File | Preferences. Restart slic3r. Now on the Print Settings tab you should see a speed label on the left. Click on it.

If you think you're having print issues, I'd start a new thread with some pictures showing what you have for printing results. Note that layers are going to be noticeable.

Technician
    Add Zulfe on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by BL_GrafX View Post
    Hey there, BL_GrafX! Nice choice with the Makerfarm printer. What Slic3r settings are you using? In the build guide, you should have found a set of prebuilt Slic3r configurations that work best with each hot end. If you've missed these, you can find them here: (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B80A...FLQU5JRVk/edit)

With the .4mm Hexagon, I print everything at 100mm/s for infill, 75mm/s for perimeters, 70% of that for external perimeters, 100mm/s for non-print moves and 120mm/s for bridging.

The gaps are typical of the version of Slic3r Colin distributes with the printers. I recommend upgrading to the latest stable version. Currently, I'm running 1.1.7 stable, and I'm getting much better results than I ever got with 0.9.

This is a tinkerer's game, though, so you'll probably be fiddling with settings for a while before you get everything exactly how you like it.