Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar

Linux and the flashforge

Okay so from another thread it looks like it's easier to communicate with the printer via serial port from linux.

And cura slicer both come in linux flavours.

So I'm thinking that maybe cura will talk to my printer from ubuntu, where it won't talk via windows.

Downloading the latest ubuntu desktop as I type.
    I know it happily dual boots with with windows - but I've also got a spare 32gb memory stick that be an alternative option. I've only got a 64gb ssd on the 3d printer's box.

Does anyone have any linux-flashforge experience ?

Senior Engineer
    Cura will not talk to the printer. ReplicatorG or GPX are your only two options and I can't get GPX to talk reliably.

Slic3r is a better slicer than Cura anyway (IMO), it still won't talk to your printer though.

even from linux ?

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    even from linux ?
    I only use Linux, have done for 20 years.

This is one of the reasons that the Stratasys is on it's way down the road.

oh well, it was a thought :-)

Student
    Yep unfortunately you can't with Slic3r / Cura.

I just posted this in the other thread, but: I know the guys developing MatterControl are looking at adding X3G support in the future, (and it can use Slic3r/Cura) so the dream may become a reality in the future.

Just a thought though; I know with GPX you can use the serial flag (-s) to get it to output directly to a printer (in X3G). It may be possible to set that flag in the gpx.ini file, and then run Slic3r automatically after slicing.

yeah there's a way to both add the correct makerware gcode to slic3r and automatically launch gpx once sliced.

My project for the evening is to see if I can get it all to work :-)

Now all I have to do is find the relevant threads ;-)

Senior Engineer
    Much messing and I have now succeeded in failing completely to send any bytes out of the serial port on my main computer but I have also succeeded in getting GPX to work correctly on a Raspi. This means that I can now add the Raspi to the printer and have the Raspi turn power on to the printer and be Ethernet enabled for printing.

Under Print settings, output options you can insert commands. You need to add it to a SH file though as you can't command line arguments from Slic3r.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Now all I have to do is find the relevant threads ;-)

This one?

http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post22439

@ Mjolinor: Sweet that you got it to work on a Raspi! The alternative to a shell script is to set all the GPX flags in the gpx.ini file; not sure if that makes anything easier though.

On another note, I'm still having issues with trying to send basic movement commands with GPX and the -s flag . It tends to hang after trying a file that is a single like like "G1 X30". Have you run into any issues like this?

probably. I was pretty usre I'd followed all the steps.
    Never got round to letting it print as it kept heating up the right head. And at the moment I'm only printing with the left.

Checked the gcode and I'd put the right bits in for head 1 not 0.
    Could be a slic3r setting I missed or could be the fact that I've not updated my firmware.

I'll keep playing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast